Company Plan Extra Level 2 to Irish Life

Lara

Hi Snowyb and all
Hope you can help? I've been with VHI all my life (40 years), first on Plan C options and then I moved to Company Plan Extra Level 2 last year because of the huge excess on C options and the poor day-to-day (I use day-to-day quite a bit).
My husband has found out that his company will contribute towards my health insurance but only with Irish Life. He's anxious for me to change (finances!). Could you recommend and equivalent policy with Irish life? I also have a non-serious health issue that has been routinely checked surgically (in-patient) for many years and I'm worried that I might not be covered if I move?

Finally, my daughter has a heart condition that may or may not need to be dealt with in 5+ years. She was initially on PMI3413 at birth but moved to Company Plan Extra Level 2 (same as me) when we found out that it would be a while before she needed any help (and PMI 3413 was very expensive). What is the best Irish Life for intermediate cardiac cover and consultant visits?

Thanks in advance,
Lara

Lara,

The following Irish Life plans are worth considering;

1. Best Ultimate 2; Price 1800(1818pa from 1/1/2018) all public, private(including private room) and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered.
No excess to pay with this plan. Good day to day cover, 75% refund for consultant + gp visits.
This plan is an equivalent plan to your current plan.

2. Best Ultimate Active; price 1657(1731 from 1/1/2018); all public, private(including private room 50 excess) + 3 hi-tech hospitals covered. Small excess 50 just for a private room in a private hospital and for special procedures in a hi-tech hospital. No day case excess. Good day to day cover, 75% refund for consultant and gp visits etc. Very similar to your current plan, with a small excess.

3. Be Fit 3; price 1536 (1579 from 1/1/2018) all public, private(including private room) + 3 hi-tech hospitals covered. Private/hi-tech excess
75 per admission or day case.
Note; There is very good day to day on this plan, the first 2 consultant visits and gp visits fully covered and 50% refund for subsequent visits. This plan is well worth it considering a full refund for 2 visits.

4. 4D Health 4; price 1500, all public, private(including private room) + 3 hi-tech hospitals covered. Private/hi-tech excess 50 per admission or
day case. Good day to day cover, 75% refund for consultant and gp visits etc.

[broken link removed]

Child Option
Best value with Irish Life Health for your child is as follows;

Best Ultimate 2; price 350pa; all public, private(including private room) + 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, no excess to pay for admissions or
day case procedures. Cardiac surgery is covered in all public, private and hi-tech hospitals.
Good day to day cover, 75% refund for consultant and gp visits etc.
[broken link removed]

NOTE; With a renewal date of 1st May, you may have to wait until then to switch companies as you are locked into a year's contract with VHI.
You could cancel your policy now but there are penalties to pay, you would have to pay the levy amount for the 5 months left on your contract.
This levy is 444pa @ 5 months is 185. Child levy 148pa @ 5 months is 74. Plus a 50euro admin fee per policy; 50 x 2 = 100
Total cancellation fee; 185 + 74 + 100 = 359
Also, if you had a hospital claim during the year, VHI will charge the full years premium, which makes it pointless to switch.

Hope this helps with your decisions.

Regards, Snowyb

Snowyb, thank you so much, that has been really helpful. It's very confusing trying to wade through all the policy offerings! You're very good to provide help with all this.

Many thanks
Lara

Back