VHI Company Plan Extra Level 2 couple both 67 year old ,costing 3676 euro is there a cheaper option,

josh8267

Since we retired The yearly cost of 3676 is taking a big % of our income,
Looking for a Hospital plan that will allow us to hold on to as much of existing Company Plan Extra Level 2, hospital Cover)
We are both in good health , up to now we only ever claim about 6 visits to doctor each year,
We would like to get a plan with similar hospital cover if it exist at a cheaper rate/cost,
Not used of Internet Hope the above is stated correctly,

Hi josh8267,

Welcome to AAM.
The following 2 VHI plans are worth considering as alternative options at cheaper prices. Details as follows;

1. VHI PMI 07 10; price 1240pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered. Private or hi-tech hospital admission excess is capped at 150 x 1
for all admissions, regardless of how many per year. Day case excess 50 per procedure in private/ hi-tech hospitals. No excess applies in any public
hospital. Good day to day cover included, 50% refund for gp visits, consultant visits etc.
Note; 2 private hospitals not covered, Whitfield Private Clinic Co Waterford and Kingsbridge Hospital Sligo.

2. VHI PMI 38 14; price 1679pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered. No excess to pay on admission or day case in any private or
hi-tech hospital. Good day to day cover included, 75% refund for gp visits, physio etc, consultant refund 130 per visit.
This plan is similar to Company Plan Extra Level 2 in every way except price.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...Mb2NrIjpmYWxzZSwicGxhbl9kZXRhaWxfaWQiOi0xfX1d

Good savings to be had with no loss of cover.

Regards, Snowyb

Last edited:
Thanks Snowyb for your Quick reply, Galway clinic has good transports/Bus links from where I live it is the one private hospital i would like to hold on to if I change plan , Galway clinic is on my existing plan,
VHI PMI 07 10 looks like the plan I will go with ,I will go through the link you provided,
I have being paying into the VHI Company Plan Extra Level 2 for a long number of years,
I was afraid to move away from present Plan losing existing Hospital benefits having to start all over again with waiting times to qualify for hospital cover,
Once again Thanks for taking the time to reply,

Hi again
My VHI Company Plan Extra Level 2 Renewal date was 1 /11/2019 it was Automatically Renewed 1/11/2019 , I have one day left to change Plan,
I need to discuss changing plan with my Wife she is away until the 15/11/2019 , I will be changing from my existing Plan to VHI PMI 38 14 in morning

I was wondering do We still have another 14 days if we want to change to Plan VHI PMI 07 10 which is the one I would like to go with but need more time to go through with Wife before changing to this Plan,

josh8267,

No, you just have until 14th November 2019 to make a final decision for the year ahead.
VHI don't allow you to change to another VHI plan during the year. Laya and Irish Life do allow changing policies mid-year.

Just to clarify, you could switch to plan PMI 07 10 yourself, and your wife could switch to PMI 38 14.
You don't have to be on the same plan as your wife, if you choose.
That option is open to you, to make more savings.

To explain briefly, the differences in cover between PMI 38 14 and PMI 07 10.

1. Excess Amount; PMI 38 14 has no excess payment involved. An excess payment means if you are admitted to a private or hi-tech hospital
for a stay or for a day case procedure, you pay an agreed amount. This is only paid on admission to hospital, it is NOT a nightly charge. There is
no excess to pay in any public hospital on any plan.
PMI 07 10 has a capped excess for all private and hi-tech hospital admissions in a year. The excess payment is capped at 150 euro max for the
whole year, regardless of how many times you are admitted to private or hi-tech hospitals. The day case excess charge on PMI 07 10 is 50 euro
per procedure in private or hi-tech hospitals.

2. Hospital Cover; The only difference between the two plans is that PMI 07 10 plan does not cover Whitfield Private hospital Waterford and
Kingsbridge hospital Sligo. All other hospitals are covered on both plans including Galway Clinic. There is no waiting time involved as hospital
cover is same as before.

3. Day to day Medical Expenses; PMI 38 14 gives a refund of 75% for gp visits, etc and 130 euro refund for consultant visits.
PMI 07 10 gives a refund of 50% for consultant, gp visits etc.

4. Radiology Scans (MRI, CT, etc) PMI 38 14 covers 75% of costs upto 1000 per year.
PMI 07 10 covers 50% of costs upto 500 per year.

Lastly, a few of my own family members were on Company Plan Extra Level 2 and similar level plans for years. They are really good plans but
the extra cover is worth it if you actually use it. PMI 07 10 plan is a fairly new plan on the market, so when it was launched I recommended it to
my own family and they are happily on it ever since.

If you have any other questions or concerns, ask away.

Regards, Snowyb

Last edited:
Thanks Snowyb
I moved to PMI O7 10
otherhalf Moved to PMI 38 14 both very happy with the savings,
Once again thanks for the link showing all 3 options,

Last edited:
Back