Company passing on info

niceoneted

not totally sure which forum this should go in (home/gardens or ask about law or another)

Getting work done on my house. Issue with alarm. Builder contacts an alarm company ( that I previously had service alarm). I was unaware he was contacting them. They discussed my alarm system and issues around what they recommended a few years ago.
Can they do this?
Builder followed up the phone call with an email. I'm thinking he's now using the information as a way out of paying for issues that arose today.
We had a perfectly working alarm before work and now we don't. TIA

Gordan they aren't my provider though. They didn't install the system. They just serviced it once. I've had it services else where since. There name is not on any of the equipment in the house. They are just local in small village/town.

Sorry, but it comes across as unnecessary outrage about something trivial.

- Builder is working in a house
- An issue arises with the alarm
- The builder calls someone who’d worked on it previously

Reasonable common-sense stuff in my view.

Last edited:
What issues arose and are these the real source of the concern? i.e., are you hoping to use a potential data protection breech to have the builder pay for issues that were not of his making?

In terms of data protection, I think it's fair to assume the builder is empowered to give out your address to other parties, otherwise he would be unable to arrange deliveries to site or check the location of utilities with the providers. Is it safe to assume he is entitled to give this same address to an alarm provider in order to obtain information relevant to the job? Perhaps.

You could submit a query to the DPC to get their thoughts. Is that going to get you out pf paying for a pre-existing issue? Probably not.

not totally sure which forum this should go in (home/gardens or ask about law or another)

Getting work done on my house. Issue with alarm. Builder contacts an alarm company ( that I previously had service alarm). I was unaware he was contacting them. They discussed my alarm system and issues around what they recommended a few years ago.
Can they do this?
Builder followed up the phone call with an email. I'm thinking he's now using the information as a way out of paying for issues that arose today.
We had a perfectly working alarm before work and now we don't. TIA

So what is really going on here? You are trying to blame the builder for a preexisting issue with your alarm, the builder spoke to the local guy, who he had no way of knowing your relationship with and has now concluded it is not his problem..... sounds like a lot of nonsense to me.

You are trying to blame the builder for a preexisting issue with your alarm

Jim2007 - from my reading, there wasn't a pre-existing issue with the alarm. The builder came in to do some work. Then an issue arose with the alarm. The builder contacted an alarm company who then gave details of what they (the alarm company) did in the past, so as to resolve the issue.

OP is worried that the builder will use this as a way of saying that there was always a problem with the alarm and not pay to resolve the issues with the alarm. The OP feels the builder caused the issue.

Ideally, the builder should have contacted the home owner first, when the alarm issue arose, instead of going directly to an alarm company.

Ideally, the builder should have contacted the home owner first, when the alarm issue arose, instead of going directly to an alarm company.
or did what he did to resolve it but not charge any extra for this.

Back