coming electrical supply shortage /rising cost christmas lights ban yes or no

johnwilliams

just your thoughts
rte have announced their christmas lights will be off from 7pm to 9pm due to costs
we hear on news about complaints about rising electricity prices which people cant pay and possible need for power cuts
coming up to christmas the streets are going to be covered with christmas lights both overhead and shop windows,
also round this area lots of houses will be totally kitted out. multiply that countrywide
so to save on supply and possible blackouts should we be looking at a christmas light ban this year yes or no ?

I'd rather ban private jets for a few months rather than Christmas lights at what will be the first normal Christmas in 3 years for kids

Most Christmas lights are led.

I've a large retail store with lights on units, outside and also 4 trees.

In total I have 23 sets of lights.

The total wattage of all sets combined is 82 watts. They are on from 9.30am to 5.30pm and therefore will not use even one full unit of electricity in a day.

Christmas lights in RTE are only off for those 2 hours to stop the serial complainers/anti RTE crowd having a moan. The savings will be negligible. As long as you dont go OTT, I'd suggest you just relax and enjoy Christmas.

Although I was astonished to see a 1kg tin of Quality Street on sale in my local Supervalue at €15. That's where the real cost impact on Christmas may be felt, imported goods from the UK

Christmas lights in RTE are only off for those 2 hours to stop the serial complainers/anti RTE crowd having a moan. The savings will be negligible.
Of a bit of tokenism from the whingers and wasters in RTE...
Although I was astonished to see a 1kg tin of Quality Street on sale in my local Supervalue at €15. That's where the real cost impact on Christmas may be felt, imported goods from the UK
Yep, we might have to eat less chocolate over Christmas. At least we now know the suffering of those 7.6 million Ukrainian refugees (it seems we shouldn't concern ourselves with the 33 million displaced people in Pakistan due to flooding as they aren't white).

Does turning a light ON incur an extra cost over and above it being ON? Or run down the life of bulb faster?

We'd save more if RTE stopped broadcasting from 7-9 pm. They could leave the lights on then.
They could just tell us in advance what other channels the UK and US soaps and sit-coms they would have been showing are on. Then they could have the News at 9 and we could hear again about all the news we'd already got from our phones but this time with a strong left-wing bias. Maybe they could do all that with the lights turned off in the studio. That would save money.

Does turning a light ON incur an extra cost over and above it being ON? Or run down the life of bulb faster?
Fluorescent tubes require a little extra energy for a very brief time at startup, but that's not the case for LEDs. Cycling LEDs on and off doesn't affect lifespan.

From ESB networks

Did you know that just one cycle of a tumble dryer uses as much electricity as watching the Six One news for 120 evenings? Top-tip: try to avoid using your tumble dryer as much as possible by hanging your clothes on an airer in a well-ventilated room.

Scrapping the Six One news would also to use the tumble dryer 3 times a year.

From ESB networks

Did you know that just one cycle of a tumble dryer uses as much electricity as watching the Six One news for 120 evenings? Top-tip: try to avoid using your tumble dryer as much as possible by hanging your clothes on an airer in a well-ventilated room.

Scrapping the Six One news would also to use the tumble dryer 3 times a year.
My tumble dryer is rated 3kW.

I pay 33 cent plus VAT per kWHr for my electricity

That's € 1.23 to use the tumble dryer for an hour.

Money well spent. And last month I got a €200 credit on my bill.

Last edited:
they need to build new power stations and stop closing perfectly good ones with decades still to run like they did in the midlands, They have signed the contract for the "celtic interconnector" to France to import French nuclear power so why can't we just build our own one? Simples !! Like everything in Ireland now the energy situation has been hijacked by environmental and leftist idealogues that have no clue how to supply electricity on demand 24hours per day 7 days a week.
Of course the data centres have garnered all the attention with their energy use but big high tech operations like Intel are now going to shut down operations over Christmas in order to save costs due to their enormous energy bills with knock on effect on employment

they need to build new power stations and stop closing perfectly good ones with decades still to run like they did in the midlands, They have signed the contract for the "celtic interconnector" to France to import French nuclear power so why can't we just build our own one? Simples !! Like everything in Ireland now the energy situation has been hijacked by environmental and leftist idealogues that have no clue how to supply electricity on demand 24hours per day 7 days a week.
Of course the data centres have garnered all the attention with their energy use but big high tech operations like Intel are now going to shut down operations over Christmas in order to save costs due to their enormous energy bills with knock on effect on employment
Of course we should have nuclear power here, particularly after the Interconnector is built. That way we can sell our excess. We are 100% correct to close our peat and coal burning Stations. Climate change is a far bigger problem than the war in Ukraine or the current cost of living issues we are dealing with (not a crisis, nothing more than an inconvenience for most people).
Germany's moronic decision to close its Nuclear power stations and the unscientific and ignorant ideologically drive rejection of Nuclear power across most of Europe is having a profoundly negative impact on the entire region that will reverberate into the future for decades.

Of course we should have nuclear power here, particularly after the Interconnector is built. That way we can sell our excess. We are 100% correct to close our peat and coal burning Stations. Climate change is a far bigger problem than the war in Ukraine or the current cost of living issues we are dealing with (not a crisis, nothing more than an inconvenience for most people).
Germany's moronic decision to close its Nuclear power stations and the unscientific and ignorant ideologically drive rejection of Nuclear power across most of Europe is having a profoundly negative impact on the entire region that will reverberate into the future for decades.
I would be glad if you would take the time to explain the case for nuclear on these headings.

1 Waste. Given that we have no idea what political conditions will exist generations into the future.
2 The possibility of terrorist attack
3 Leaks from Sellafield. How can we be sure that similar would not occur in any future plant we might build.

I would be glad if you would take the time to explain the case for nuclear on these headings.

1 Waste. Given that we have no idea what political conditions will exist generations into the future.
New Nuclear technology uses existing waste as a fuel source. Even existing technology confines it's waste so that it can be kept in a safe place. At the moment we belch our waste into the air and are causing the climate to change in a way which makes the planet less suitable for human habitation.
2 The possibility of terrorist attack
Big walls and heavy doors. That's how we keep the Mint from being attacked. Though there is always the possibility that there will be a terrorist attack.
3 Leaks from Sellafield. How can we be sure that similar would not occur in any future plant we might build.
Because it's not the 1950's and we we wouldn't be using 1950's technology. Nuclear power has saved over 2 million lives over the last 50 years. If hydrocarbons has been burned instead that's how many more people would have died from air pollution. We can never be sure that there would never be a leak but we can be sure that we wouldn't be burning coal and oil and gas and so wouldn't be killing hundreds of people every year from air pollution.

Back