Combined Washer Dryer

MissRibena

Hi everyone

Are combined washer dryers (sp? drier isn't right but dryer looks equally dodgy) as bad as I think. I have only ever heard doom and gloom stories but they might solve my space problem in the "utility" area of my new house. Did anyone have one that was trouble free?

I'm not a big washer - only 2 loads a week or so but I suppose that's with a bigger drum.

Are the dryers condensers or will i have to get a vent sorted?

Thanks
Rebecca

We have a combined W & D. Had it for 8 years only 1 minor problem (small part - simple fix), we do a fair bit of washing not nearly as much drying (rads & outside). Must be condensing as we don't have an outlet as I know some other do. Can't think of the brand (check when I get home) but I actually don't believe it is one of the uber brands such as Miele. If space is an issue I would say buy the best brand you can afford and go for it.Look up the recent 'Which' magazine surveys done on white goods.

Lakeview said:
We have a combined W & D. Had it for 8 years only 1 minor problem (small part - simple fix), we do a fair bit of washing not nearly as much drying (rads & outside). Must be condensing as we don't have an outlet as I know some other do. Can't think of the brand (check when I get home) but I actually don't believe it is one of the uber brands such as Miele. If space is an issue I would say buy the best brand you can afford and go for it.Look up the recent 'Which' magazine surveys done on white goods.

Had one of these - a Zanussi. Fine if you don't have the space for two units, but otherwise you are better with two separate units IMHO because:

1. If you get a problem with the drum then you can't wash OR dry.
  2. You can't (obviously) wash and dry at the same time - which means in the winter if you are washing and drying lots of clothes, it will take longer.
  3. Recent models may be different, but I found that you will get a higher spin on a separate washing machine than on a combo unit.
  4. You can only wash and dry on certain cycles - you may find that you have to take the washing out or spin it before drying it yourself - in which case the advantage of the "set it and forget it" programme is lost.
  5. If you can afford it, Miele are better quality. :) For that matter, you can spend money on whichever of the two functions is more important to you. Some people rarely use driers, for example, and so would be better spending money on the washing machine.

I have a washer/dryer (condenser) and while it hasn't given me any problems in just over 6 months the drying is fairly crap on it.

Can't remember the make but fairly good brand.

I never use the drying cycle anymore because (a) it's expensive on electricity and (b) it just doesn't dry stuff.

A day on a clothes horse does the trick fine.
Don't waste your time.

Thanks everyone. I'll have another look at the space and see if I could get two machines fitted in someplace but I'm not as scared of the WD set up now!

Sorry sueellen, don't know how I missed the earlier thread. Thanks for linking to it for me.

Rebecca

Most washers dryers will only dry half a load of washing, so after a wash you need to remove half the load (assuming you washed a full load) and then dry the rest.

I have bought a combi that will wash 5kg and dry upto 4kg depending on the type of items, towles would be less. My place isn't built yet so I haven't got it but another guy in work got the same one and said its fine

Its a hotpoint BWD129 and it was approx €620 in DID and is ABB rated
http://www.hotpoint.co.uk/macro/product.d2w/report?typeref=35&prnbr=BWD129

Bought one recently, almost half the price of DID, Power City etc all of which had very similar prices, from a little shop in Camden St in Dublin. The guy was a pleasure to deal with too. Could not believe the difference in price.

Is that place selling seconds ? AFAIK there is also a small place on capel st which has really cheap stuff but is all seconds.

When I bought my house there was one of these in it. I previously had seperates but left them in the house I sold.

It was CRAP. It only dries half the washing load and it seemed to take twice as long to work as the normal dryer.

I bought a dryer for €180ish and I reckon it'll pay for itself in electricity alone as you have to rung the combined one twice and then each run took twice as long. At about 10-15c per run it adds up very quickly.

I mounted my dryer on top of my washer. The dryers are light enough. I remodelled my units to do this but it was easy and I spent about €50 in total on changing some wood around.

Yep we have a washer/dryer and the dryer part is useless. On for ages and even small load still damp. Ended up buying a very small tumble dryer for 200 euro or so and its great, takes up very little space compared to the bigger ones and actually dries the clothes!

paddyc said:
Is that place selling seconds ? AFAIK there is also a small place on capel st which has really cheap stuff but is all seconds.

think they are display models - one year's full guarantee given too.

Thanks everyone. I took the plunge and chanced a combined one. Himself is doing the first run now so we'll see how it goes. At least I have a clothes line in this house so I won't be as reliant on it as I was before.

Rebecca

We had one when we rented an appartment, no real choice as there was no room for seperate appliances, and no washing line. It was fine so long as you didn't put in more than a 2/3rds load!

A bit late to this thread, but here goes..........

We bought an Indesit WD 12 from Currys four years ago. Never a bother. Outstanding machine. Extremely quiet. But, if the truth be told, we hardly ever use the dryer.

But, if money is no object, then it's Miele everytime. (Just ask any one of a few hundred thousand guest-house and small hotel owners! ;-) ) The length of their guarantee speaks for itself.

D.

ps. For purchases like these, it is well worth signing up for the free 30 day trial on www.which.net and checking out the tests. Just don't forget to cancel your registration in time. Otherwise they start charging you.

Back