Combined pensions cannot exceed 2/3 of final salary?

Mayo1969

So, heard the discussion re UK pension entitlement on the radio earlier this week and went ahead and completed form CF83 as suggested and went through process of registering online with my biometric passport. Pleasantly surprised and delighted to learn that I already have 11 years of UK credits (despite actually making only 8 years of contributions - some of them only partial years). As It stands, even before buying back years it informs me I'm entitled to a UK pension of approx £63 p/w when I turn 67. It also shows when one clicks on buying back additional years as a default Class 3 contributions (or buypack of approx £820 per year) even though like others here I feel I should be qualified for Class 2 having worked here in Ireland for the past 22 years.

Anyway, my question is a pleasant one, regarding the very favourable situation I find myself in, based on discussion with someone that worked in selling AVC's, in that they said all your combined pensions on retirement can't exceed 2/3 of your final salary on retirement.

I have a public service pension entitlement of over 20 years having bought back some years in the past. If I work to 65 I'll have approx 33 years of contributions in total.

I've also been paying into an AVC for the past 19 years and in recent years I've upped the payments to that which should leave me with a AVC fund of approx €95k at retirement.

If I buy back years 2006 to 2023 in the UK and continue making further contributions in the coming years, I can achieve the 35 years required for a full UK pension at 67.

If I'm at risk of coming near this 2/3 limit of pensions vis a vis final salary before retirement should I:

1. Consider early retirement before 65?
2. Reduce my AVC contributions?
3. Contact an independent financial advisor?

With regard to 3 above, I deal with a very good financial advisor promoted through my department HR. However, as with all such agents acting on commission, he tends to have a bias towards getting you to contribute towards AVC's and other investment vehicles (Zurich funds) and has a relatively limited knowledge (or possible deliberate blind spot) on the subject of buying back years or supplentary pension "available to retirees in order to make up the shortfall in pension for the period between the date of retirement and the age of eligibility for the State Contributory Pension." His position was that even though I would be forced to retire at age 65 when I would be entitled to my occupational pension, I wouldn't be elegible for the state contributionary pension until 66/67 and would likely have to sign up for job seekers in the intervening year(s) to make up the shortfall.

In reality it would seem I may be able to retire before 65 and qualify for the supplementary pension although those benefiting from AVC contributions aren't likely to tell you that.

I don't want to go buying back years in the UK pension if it means a full UK pension would bring me above the 2/3 limitation when I turn 67, whereby I may not be able to avail of it at all? (or does it it just mean any excess would be subject to extra income tax?) However, buying back UK years would seem to be a much better investment either to buying back years in a public service pension or contribution to an AVC (in spite of the associated tax relief).

Anyway, sorry for the lengthy post but any insights or knowledge of the 2/3 rule appreciated.

Last edited:
I am not a pensions expert, but I think either your "someone at work" is giving bad advice re the 2/3 final salary rule or you are misunderstanding his/her advice - I don't believe the Irish state pension never mind the UK one gets wrapped up in the 2/3rds rule for occupational schemes.

I’m aware of the 2/3 rule for pension benefits from an employment, but I don’t think it extends to all employments, and I can’t see how a UK State Pension would count at all.

The 2/3 limit refers to your defined benefit PS pension only, ie, the combination of your occupational defined benefit pension and your AVCs. The English State Pension is irrelevant.
Also, if you are a post-1995 entrant to the Public Service you will be paying Class A PRSI, which counts towards the Irish State Pension. This pension is also irrelevant to the 2/3 limit.
If you are in a post-1995 PS pension scheme (Class A PRSI) it is very unlikely that you will come up against the 2/3 limit. Especially so if you will only have 33 years pensionable service at retirement. Just to note that the 2/3 limit is inclusive of the tax-free lump sum.

I don't think you can be "forced" to retire at 65 anymore. But you can draw your full pension entitlements from that age. There is provision under the PS scheme to obtain a Supplementary Pension after normal retirement age if you are not working, or paying Social Insurance, or eligible for a Social Welfare Payment. This would currently be the over-65 payment and subsequently the State Pension. There is no requirement to "sign on" for either.

Last edited:
It also shows when one clicks on buying back additional years as a default Class 3 contributions (or buypack of approx £820 per year) even though like others here I feel I should be qualified for Class 2
Class 3 seems to be showing as the default for a lot of people.

Complete the CF83 with a covering letter that you believe you should be class 2.

Rather than the 2/3 limit (or in addition to it) you should consider your prospective tax bracket in retirement. All of your combined pensionable income (and any other income) is taxable, and the occupational pension and any income arising from the AVCs are also liable for USC (currently at least). Depending on your circumstances and the total projected retirement income you might be paying tax at the marginal 40% tax rate. Getting 40% tax relief on AVCs now may not be quite so attractive if you are likely to be paying the same rate (plus USC) on the drawdown.
Having said that, you should in any event make sure that you have enough in your AVC pot to top up your tax free lump sum to 120/80 of pensionable salary. With 33 years service your occupational pension scheme will only pay out 99/120 tax free.

@Mayo

This forum is about the UK pension.

It is ok to ask if it interacts with your Irish pension.

But for a detailed discussion of your Irish pension go to the other forum.

Brendan

Thanks Brendan and appreciated. Only reason I posted it here was I was led to believe that UK pension might be counted as part of the 2/3 limitation of pension earnings v's final salary pre retirement. But the posts in reply on here seem to suggest that is not the case and one's UK pension is treated entirely separate to any Irish pension income. Hope this information is of benefit to others too.

Back