Combine Irish + UK + voluntary to meet minimum

basilbrush

I am 67. I am not currently receiving any pension, but it has occurred to me that it might be possible to receive something.

I worked for 5 or 6 years in Ireland when I was young. I then worked for 3 years in the UK. I then went abroad and have not worked since. I am now back in Ireland and plan to remain here.

I do not think combining the years worked in Ireland and the years worked in the UK will be enough to receive anything (the minimum is 10 years of contributions). I hope that it might be possible to make voluntary contributions to make-up the shortfall. I do not think it is possible for me to make voluntary contributions in Ireland as it seems that that is only possible if you already have 10 years of contributions. I have not seen that there is such a restriction in the UK, so can I pay voluntary contributions there to get above 10 years of contributions and receive something?

My husband also worked in Ireland and the UK, but continued to make voluntary contributions to the UK while abroad and so he now receives a full pension from the UK. I do not think I would pass the means test to receive the non-contributary pension.

Thank you.

Currently I am going through the process of seeing if I can add voluntary contributions to up my time spent in the UK (I do have the 10 years). first port of call would be to contact HMRC on +44 191 2183600. You'll need your UK NI number and they will advise. In my case, they told me they need to send out a pension forecast first and then to contact them back and they will discuss options.

When in doubt always apply. As you are resident in Ireland you apply to the Irish Pension Office in Sligo and they will follow up on the UK contributions. The application form is available on line or from your local Intreo office

Thank you for your replies.

I called the UK pension office today and they said that it should be possible to make voluntary contributions, even with so few non-voluntary contributions. They gave me another number to call on Monday (the one that deals with international pensions).

If I apply for anything through the Irish Pension Office then I am concerned that I might lose the medical card that I currently get as the spouse of my husband (who gets one because he receives a UK pension but no Irish social welfare payments). Am I correct?

Back