Collapse of council?

R

Redbhoy

Can someone explain to me how this situation works? The council is asked to vote on the introduction of bin-charges-if they dont vote for it, an un-elected bureaucrat is placed in charge and he calls the shots! Is this democracy or have i got it wrong??

Kind-of wrong. If the council fails to bring in a balanced budget (i.e. show where they will get there income and what they will spend it on), then the unelected bureaucrat arrives. If the council can find a way to balance their budget without bin charges (which is probably impossible), the bureaucrat will not arrive.

Dan, depends on where in Dublin. In South Dublin, it's €6 per wheelie bin.

What are the costs of bin charges in Dublin?

See [broken link removed] - use the Waste Charges -> Charges In Your Area menu and then select the local authority area of interest to you.

Re: bin charges in Dublin

Take heart, Dublin-dwellers. Following privatisation in Limerick city — where one would expect overheads to be less than in the capital — the cheapest annual rate available for the last two years has been €385... :eek

A third player, Ipodec, briefly came in and undercut the Mr Binman/Clean Ireland duopoly last February, but they've recently withdrawn their domestic services in the city, on the grounds that it was 'unviable'. So I can't wait to see what Jan. 2005 will bring...

'Brass in muck', or what?

In Cork its €400 p.a.

Lucky Dubs!

I don't suppose we'd get away with refusing to pay up unless 'Bruscar' appears in 6-inch letters on the side of every wheelie-bin..? (cf. ) :rollin

Take heart, Dublin-dwellers. Following privatisation in Limerick city — where one would expect overheads to be less than in the capital — the cheapest annual rate available for the last two years has been €385...

Got my Invoice for first six months of 2005 Dr M. It has gone up from €126 to €190. Also they will now only give you 1 optibag per week for recycling. and they have put up the cost of the green refuse sack to €7 a pop but will not give you a recycling bag with this!!!

Yeah, me too, Cushtie. :(

Great little business, isn't it?

Wonder what'll come of those allegations in the Leader a few weeks ago to the effect that a certain operator was observed dumping non-recyclable waste in with the recyclable stuff..?

Back