Collapse of council?

R

Redbhoy

Can someone explain to me how this situation works? The council is asked to vote on the introduction of bin-charges-if they dont vote for it, an un-elected bureaucrat is placed in charge and he calls the shots! Is this democracy or have i got it wrong??

Kind-of wrong. If the council fails to bring in a balanced budget (i.e. show where they will get there income and what they will spend it on), then the unelected bureaucrat arrives. If the council can find a way to balance their budget without bin charges (which is probably impossible), the bureaucrat will not arrive.

What are the costs of bin charges in Dublin?

Dan, depends on where in Dublin. In South Dublin, it's €6 per wheelie bin.

What are the costs of bin charges in Dublin?

See [broken link removed] - use the Waste Charges -> Charges In Your Area menu and then select the local authority area of interest to you.

Re: bin charges in Dublin

Take heart, Dublin-dwellers. Following privatisation in Limerick city — where one would expect overheads to be less than in the capital — the cheapest annual rate available for the last two years has been €385... :eek

A third player, Ipodec, briefly came in and undercut the Mr Binman/Clean Ireland duopoly last February, but they've recently withdrawn their domestic services in the city, on the grounds that it was 'unviable'. So I can't wait to see what Jan. 2005 will bring...

'Brass in muck', or what?

In Cork its €400 p.a.

Lucky Dubs!

I don't suppose we'd get away with refusing to pay up unless 'Bruscar' appears in 6-inch letters on the side of every wheelie-bin..? (cf. ) :rollin

Take heart, Dublin-dwellers. Following privatisation in Limerick city — where one would expect overheads to be less than in the capital — the cheapest annual rate available for the last two years has been €385...

Got my Invoice for first six months of 2005 Dr M. It has gone up from €126 to €190. Also they will now only give you 1 optibag per week for recycling. and they have put up the cost of the green refuse sack to €7 a pop but will not give you a recycling bag with this!!!

Yeah, me too, Cushtie.

Great little business, isn't it?

Wonder what'll come of those allegations in the Leader a few weeks ago to the effect that a certain operator was observed dumping non-recyclable waste in with the recyclable stuff..?