Cloud based back-up solutions

D

Dan Murray

Just wondering what cloud based back-up services folk are using for domestic use and whether you are happy generally with it plus any other info (ease of use, retrieval, security, cost, etc.) - thanks!

I've been using crashplan for a long time now. I got 8 machines (PCs and a few Macs) on it and I have no complaints. I had to restore both individual files and full images for the kids a few times and it all went well.

Thanks Jim

Any other suggestions out there so that I can do a "compare & contrast"?

I use Dropbox on my phone and laptop, backing up photos automatically there really hits the account capacity though - little videos especially soon fill up whatever allowance you have!

I use a combination of Google & Flickr for photos and movies. I also have about 4 external hard drives that I periodically back up from time to time.

One thing with online services, make sure you use decent passwords and change them regularly from a safe machine. I am contemplating changing my laptop every 12 months to be honest in a bit to keep it safe from viruses etc but it's probably a bit overkill. Although I work in IT I am a million miles away from laptops and pcs so a bit green here.

One thing with online services, make sure you use decent passwords and change them regularly from a safe machine. I am contemplating changing my laptop every 12 months to be honest in a bit to keep it safe from viruses etc but it's probably a bit overkill. Although I work in IT I am a million miles away from laptops and pcs so a bit green here.

Complete overkill in my opinion and very expensive!!! You would be far better (and much cheaper) if you have such concerns to backup your laptop and fresh install the operating system on your laptop. You then get the benefits of a virgin, fresh machine without the hassle and cost...

Complete overkill in my opinion and very expensive!!! You would be far better (and much cheaper) if you have such concerns to backup your laptop and fresh install the operating system on your laptop. You then get the benefits of a virgin, fresh machine without the hassle and cost...

You're probably right, but my last laptop was only about 250e and it only took me an hour or so to copy everything across. I then use the old laptop for surfing nefarious websites like this one!

Sorry but Google Drive, Flickr, Dropbox etc.. are not backup solutions!

Cloud backup solutions usually offer the following features:
- Runs continuously in the background (my disk was synced 11 mins ago)
- Provides versioning (I can restore a single file or full image as it was on any day in the last 90 days)
- Unlimited space (I've got almost 500Gb backed up at the moment)
- Costs about €50 pa

And so on.

Another good example is https://www.backblaze.com

Sorry but Google Drive, Flickr, Dropbox etc.. are not backup solutions!

Cloud backup solutions usually offer the following features:
- Runs continuously in the background (my disk was synced 11 mins ago)
- Provides versioning (I can restore a single file or full image as it was on any day in the last 90 days)
- Unlimited space (I've got almost 500Gb backed up at the moment)
- Costs about €50 pa

And so on.

Another good example is https://www.backblaze.com

I agree with that, but the issue I have with companies like backblaze and a plethora of others like that is that they might not be there in years to come. For that reason I spread the love to Google and Flickr/Yahoo and external hard drives.

Back