Closing Out Difficulties with my own Solicitor - 1 year later

kINGKONG

Hey Guys:

Looking for some advice.

I am a first time buyer and took my mortgage out with BOI.

I signed contracts and drew down in the loan in November 14.

My solicitor has not sent on the deeds to the bank yet.

I have paid my solicitor fees and expenses in full.

Over the past 10 weeks I have rang and emailed my solictor to follow up and have not gotten any proof of progress.

At this stage I am concerned if everything is in order and whether he has done his job properly.

I have contact BOI and raised my concerns who are going follow up on the title.

The solicitor is a sole practitioner and was recommend through the family.

Does anyone know what questions I should ask?
What documentation should is check is in place?

I want to make 100% certain there is no issues with the purchase and not get any surprises if/when I go to sell in the future.

The property is Freehold and fails under registry of deeds. I have a copy of the folio from landdirect.ie.

I know I can make a compliant to the law society as a last resort. At this stage I just want to become a well informed purchaser who can properly quiz the solicitor.

Many Thanks

I would call to the solicitor if not getting an answer. It's though perfectly normal for it to take some time before the documentation will reach the bank. It's not looking like it's registry of deeds if you mention a folio, sounds messer than that, an old Registry of deeds being changed into the new Land registry and that new procedure caused years of delays in some cases.

At the end of the day your solicitor has signed an undertaking with your bank so you shouldn't be worried. But it's unacceptable not to get an update on progress. So by all means complain to the Law Society. I'd tell the solicitor by email you're going to do this if you don't get a response within say, two weeks.

Back