Close company pension contributions

Bill90.

Hi,

Just looking at going from sole trader to Ltd. Profits about 35k yearly. I have other sources of income to survive so I could do without giving 50% of the 35k away.

Just wondering if the director of a close company can still make the same pension contributions?.

Essentially putting all profits into my pension and not having any liability?.

Thanks.

There's some debate out there about this, but the professional tax advice we've received is that there must be an employer / employee relationship in order for a company to pay into a PRSA. One of the elements of that would be some level of salary.

So I would say you'd need to be taking some level of salary from the company, even if very small, before you could put company contributions into a PRSA.

Regards,

Liam
www.FergA.com

There's some debate out there about this, but the professional tax advice we've received is that there must be an employer / employee relationship in order for a company to pay into a PRSA. One of the elements of that would be some level of salary.

So I would say you'd need to be taking some level of salary from the company, even if very small, before you could put company contributions into a PRSA.

Regards,

Liam
www.FergA.com
Hi Liam

That's great to hear, thanks. The difference between paying 50% on it now as a sole trader and putting it all into a pension for 15 years is absolutely massive.

I wonder why there's some debate about it tho?. Surely Revenue should be clear cut on such a basic idea?.

Regards.

Hi,

Just looking at going from sole trader to Ltd. Profits about 35k yearly. I have other sources of income to survive so I could do without giving 50% of the 35k away.

Just wondering if the director of a close company can still make the same pension contributions?.

Essentially putting all profits into my pension and not having any liability?.

Thanks.
It's a small point but I think it's the company that should make the contrubutions, not the Director. If i recall correctly, if you do it this way, you won't pay PRSI or USC on the contributions. Other here will correct me if I have that wrong.

Back