Climbing Plant

P

paulocon

Anyone recommend any quick-growing climbing plants, preferably evergreen. Have a couple of unsightly fences that I'd like to get covered.

Have clematis, fantastic in summer but quite bare looking come winter-time.

paulocon.

Honeysuckles - we plant some last year to hide the wall around our patio and they have already cover a good bit - they are evergreen and the flower smell nice during summer/autumn. Would recommand it.

Clematis Armandii is extremely vigorous, with glossy evergreen leaves and loads of white flowers in summer, which apparently smell of almonds.

sherman,

thanks for this. any idea where I can source this plant?

regards,
paulocon

www.futureforests.net/ might be worth a call regarding your query as they get good recommendations here

I see Mr. Midleton's of Capel St. also get a recommendation here

Cheers sueellen,

Once more you come up trumps!

Have sourced some Clematis Armandii at futureforests.net - mail order and all.

thanks again.
paulocon

Hi Paulocon,

Where abouts on the Future Forests site did you find the Clematis Armandii? I can't seem to find it, and their search facility is about as good as ezboard's!!

Thanks.

sherman,

emailed them with a query...

Email address: [email protected]

Their reply was:

'We have a couple of Clematis Armandii in stock at the moment. Also Clematis forsterii and a new variety called Early Sensation, white cup shaped flowers and unusual frilled evergreen foliage. All are in 2 ltr pots at 12 euro each.'

Don't take them all on me... :)

Ah no, I wouldn't do that to you!! I won't be buying any until the autumn. Useful to know that they stock them though.

Only Joking. :)
Just ordered one along with a clematis forsterii so there's still a few in stock...

sherman,

Plants delivered from Future Forests a couple of days after ordering - excellent service and very cheap.

Gardenworks on the Navan road stock clematis armandii as well but are a bit more expensive than Future Forests.

paulocon,

Thanks a million for that - I will deffo be giving them some business hopefully in the near future - I like the look of their fruit bushes as well.

Incidentally, you may know this already, but when planting your clematis, put it in 6 inches deeper than it was in the pot - ie bury the first 6 inches of the stem. Clematis have a nasty habit of dying back ('clematis wilt') and once they've succumbed they're gone, unless you've planted them so the first six inches of stem are buried, in which case they'll usually regenerate from those buried six inches. Also, the roots like a cool root run, so put some mulch down around the plants after planting.

Best of luck with them!

Clematis armandii is great! And the four-petalled white flowers have a delicate almond perfume.

Another option is Solanum Jasminoides 'Album' (white potato vine). Very vigourous, evergreen in a little shelter and a very long flowering season with clusters of white jasmine-like flowers (sadly not scented) from early spring to late Autumn.

Back