Cleaner - Tax deductable

RobAMerc

I have a limited company run from a room in my house. (IT Contractor)

What I wish to know is if its possible to have a contracted cleaning company for the house and claim it as a legitimate business expense ?

Thanks
Rob

What is possible and what is legitimate are different for obvious reasons. You are allowed to deduct relevant business expences that were for business use. You could probably deduct 30% of the cost of the cleaner from your company on the basis that customers or whatever will be using your entrance and room / toilet etc but you will find it difficult to convince anyone that cleaning your bedrooms and doing your ironing had any relevance to your business (unless its not really IT!!!) anyway i think that if you do this and share costs of your home and your business when you go to sell your house you will only be able to get CGT relief on the part which was not used for your business (so that % may be very costly) and you may be also liable for further taxes on the sale because it was used as a business premises. Basically this is a can of worms not worth opening for a few hours a week for a cleaning lady to do your ironing and cleaning!You would need to check with your accountant to be sure ..why not just drop them an e-mail.?

Back