Claiming tax when leaving country

jenben1982

I am from Britain and worked from Jan to Nov this year, I am returning home, is it possible to claim my tax back as I will not be in the country again. I do not have a P60 as I havent worked a full year..

Yes you can reclaim some tax. When you receive your P60 for 2006 (which you should do in early 2007), contact the Revenue, submit your P60 and ask for a balancing statement. They will calculate how much of a refund you are due and send a cheque to you.

I know I can request a P21 but that only gives you an indication of how much tax you paid that year, how will they know I have moved back home?

Also in relation to the P60, which address are they going to send it to since I have left my irish one and am returning home

You only get a P60 if you are in employment on the 31st December of the year in question. You should be able to use your P45 to call to the tax office and request a repayment of tax overpaid. It will probably not be that much as you will have used 11 months worth of tax credits.

Back