Claiming tax back?

Peanut

Hi there,

Is it true that you can claim back the cost of a survey/valuation carried out on a property on tax? Would it be for either the survey or the valuation or both? I'm a ftb and I remember someone mentioning that to me before....either that or its mixed up with all the other wishful thinking in my head.

Wistful thinking I'm afraid! A basic mortgage valuation costs €96-€127 and a full structural survey around the €350 mark.....

Sarah

www.rea.ie

Ah....I knew it. Thanks for that, we've already had the survey and the valuation done, by the company on the bank approved list, which, by the way is unfair, (in my humble opinion), as I know surveyors personally that would have saved me the money. I see their point though, I know they need to have the insurance in order and all that jazz......

Well I can just put that €400 well and truly out of my mind....the most annoying thing is that they didn't give us the valuation that we needed for the bank....hence another valuation paid for in full....very annoying.

Sarah,

Off Topic but what should a basic mortgage valuation consist of?
I was recently charged €135 for one (just slightly above your quote above) but never saw anyone at my house to do any checking.

DE

A basic mortgage valuation is 1-3 page report (depending on the lender) detailing the accomodation, size and condition of the structure and advising the lender of any problems with the property which could affect their security. The valuer should have definitely have spent time inside the house....

Sarah

www.rea.ie

Back