Claiming Rent relief for private rented accomdation

Apollo

hi, just wondering about the amount of rent relief that can be claimed. I am renting in Kimmage paying €430/month. Is it €1,650 per anum, I'm under 55, or 20% of €1650? Also in order to claim this relief how does one go about it?

Thanks in advance guys,

Apollo

The max that can be claimed as a tax credit for the 2006 tax year is €330. This is assuming you are single and under 55. Here's the Rent 1 form below. Fill it out and post it to your local tax office.

[broken link removed]

If your already registered for PAYE on www.ros.ie you can apply online for the credit.

Is it €1,650 per anum, I'm under 55, or 20% of €1650?

You get tax relief on the full €1650 at the 20% rate. So the "tax credit" is worth €330 per annum.

If your already registered for PAYE on www.ros.ie you can apply online for the credit.
If your not registered with ROS then this can take some time to setup so go with the mailing route if you'd like the money without a large delay. You can also claim back for (up to 4) previous years renting should you not already have done so.

If sending in the paper copy you can find your local tax office from the link at the bottom of [broken link removed] using your PPS number (also, a little more info on the tax credit in question).

Back