Home Claiming for Buggy in Stolen Car

cazb

Folks,
My car was stolen and whomever took it broke into our house to get the keys. Stupidly in the car was two buggies, two car seats, isofix and my hubbies' birthday present. Seemingly car seat ( car safety equipment) is classed as personal items.

The cost of replacing the personal contents are probably circa E2.5k and we need to replace all these things. The car insurance policy limit it 400 for personal belongings and they all need proof of purchase.

My question is that should I be able to claim off my house insurance for the buggy under the unspecified items outside the home.

MY insurer was very quick to point out that I would lose my 20% no claims bonus if I claim but I will most likely get less than market value for car which I then need to replace as well as repurchasing all the baby and child stuff. my NCB is most likely 100 Euros.

Which insurer pointed this out? Your car insurer? Same would apply to your household policy, lose your no-claims discount and probably paying an excess of €50.
Household insurers are little more difficult about quoting when you have a 2 or 3k claim on your history. Also do you have unspecified all risks cover? It should cover prams and the like. But whether they consider the isofix bases as personal possesions is another matter.

Would the house-insurer query why you left the car-seat in the house - as opposed to the car ? And why you weren't claiming from the car-insurer instead ?

(Presumably in detailing the theft from the house, the motor-theft would also be told to the house-insurer)

Thanks Pete. We have unspecified all risk cover although capped. Even claiming for that plus the personal belongings section of the motor policy will not cover the entire loss.

Kildavin - there seems to be some confusions. The items were stolen from my car but are considered personal belongings under the policy and the claim is capped at 400 euros.

Hi Cazb,
I'm surprised that the babyseat is considered a personal belonging. It's actually a car accessory and should be dealt with under the car insurance. It shouldn't be considered under the personal belongings section of the car policy. It should just be dealt with along with the value of the car ie. added to the car value. I know each insurer is different but if I was you I would argue the point..
The babyseats then on the other hand wouldn't be covered under your house policy for the exact same reason. House policies would have an exclusion for car accessories as standard and that's what they'll say.
So aim to get the car seats covered as a car accessory. Get the 400 euro limit paid out for the buggies and then see if it's worth your while claiming for the rest of the buggy's value off your house insurance.
I hope that was some help.

Back