Claiming expenses in employment credits but not entitled to them

mickaxe

Hypothetically speaking, if a person was claiming a tax credit for expenses for a period of years (3/4) and was not paying these expenses and forgot to cancel the credit can they 'safely' inform revenue?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Hypothetical question re: rent relief

mickaxe said:
Hypothetically speaking, if a person was claiming rent relief for a period of years (3/4) and was not paying rent but were homeowners and forgot to cancel the credit can they 'safely' inform revenue
Yes - and pay back the relief mistakenly obtained through a lump sum or an adjustment to their tax credits. I'd imagine that interest and penalties would not apply.

I should expand on the fist post above - there is a reference to 'flat rate expenses' - '19.40' on my tax cetificate which I assumed were relating to rent relief I claimed some years back.

However, I just rang the Revenue Dept to enquire. The operator I spoke to said they were in relation to either my job or the industry I was involved in - I didn't get too much moe than that. I made the point that I didn't want them coming after me in 5 years time for credits I wasn't entitled and he said that the amount was too small and that this would not be the case. I also told him that my wife also had this credit for 12.80 but he just fobbed me off. Thursday afternoon before Paddys day eh?........

If you do a search for "Flat Rate" there are a number of threads on this already. Seems to be one of the more complicated issues that revenue appear to not want to deal with too often.

Do a little investigation and I'd suggest that you may find you're due a lot more of a tax credit from the flat rate expences.

mickaxe said:
I should expand on the fist post above - there is a reference to 'flat rate expenses' - '19.40' on my tax cetificate which I assumed were relating to rent relief I claimed some years back.

However, I just rang the Revenue Dept to enquire. The operator I spoke to said they were in relation to either my job or the industry I was involved in - I didn't get too much moe than that. I made the point that I didn't want them coming after me in 5 years time for credits I wasn't entitled and he said that the amount was too small and that this would not be the case. I also told him that my wife also had this credit for 12.80 but he just fobbed me off. Thursday afternoon before Paddys day eh?........

Doesn't matter what anyone says to you, if you don't have it in writing you can never be sure they won't come after you in a few years time (even then I'm not so sure they wouldn't). This happened to me where I went into Revenue and spoke to someone and asked if I needed to do anything regarding some employer stock options I had sold and also the stock purchase plan in place with that employer. I was told I wouldn't need to do anything and six years later was sent an income tax bill for 600 euro. Once bitten, twice shy - thought I was doing the right thing by going to them and innocently accepted what I was told as gospel. In future would always get it in writing.

Re: Hypothetical question-have been claiming expenses but may not be entitled to do so

Here is a link for a list of the schedule

[broken link removed]

See if your emplyment falls under one of those listed

[email protected]

Janet said:
Doesn't matter what anyone says to you, if you don't have it in writing you can never be sure they won't come after you in a few years time (even then I'm not so sure they wouldn't). This happened to me where I went into Revenue and spoke to someone and asked if I needed to do anything regarding some employer stock options I had sold and also the stock purchase plan in place with that employer. I was told I wouldn't need to do anything and six years later was sent an income tax bill for 600 euro. Once bitten, twice shy - thought I was doing the right thing by going to them and innocently accepted what I was told as gospel. In future would always get it in writing.
If in doubt get independent, professional tax advice. That, rather than depending on information Revenue give out - which can sometimes be inaccurate/incomplete, is the only way to be safe.

Back