Claiming back VAT

sully

Is it possible to claim back VAT from a business that didn't give me their Vat no. on their invoice. Ie had an big bill from mechanic and want to claim back the VAT portion.

Well for a start you would have to be registered for VAT

and secondly the mechanic would have to be registered for vat

If both are and you are entitled to the reclaim you should get a vat invoice from him and go forth

[broken link removed] might be of interest to you in relation to registering for VAT and other taxes as a business.

I am registered for VAT and i rang the mechanic for a VAT no. but then he says this was a cash price and refused to give me one. He did say that he could do anther invoice and charge me VAT on what he already has charged me. On no occasion was i told this before and if i had known he was like this i would have avoided him, altho the car broke down and he was the nearest garage and fixed the car promptly altho he did say the initial cost was going to be 2 -300 euros and the price ended up being 500. I know i should have said not to do anything until i get a full/proper quote but i just wanted the car fixed quickly.

No I haven't and what benefit would that have done for me anyway?

I was more annoyed that the preliminary quoted price and actual price was a big difference especially as all he did was change a water pump and timing belt and charged for 4 hours labour.

On second thought perhaps i should report him, how would you go about doing this?

Unregistered said:
No I haven't and what benefit would that have done for me anyway?

Well for a start it will get you an invoice.

Go back and ask for one and tell him you never agreed to cash price. He is obliged to give you a vat invoice. If not, call the vat office and let them know.

His tone will certainly change if he thinks you are going to report him. There's no such thing as a "cash price" if you are registered for VAT. Well there is, but it still includes a VAT element.

Back