Home Claim worthy? House needs new roof before we have even made a mortgage payment

A

Aricka52

My boyfriend and I just bought our first home. We thought we took the proper steps to make sure it wasn't a lemon. Now before we have even made our first mortgage payment we are finding all these issues. The seller's disclosure had no issues to be seen. The appliances, floor, paint, AC, ect was all brand new, the roof was 1 year old, and the hot water heater was 3 years old. The seller is an investor who flipped the house so he had not lived in it but did the work mostly himself with his son. The 1st week we moved in after a hood rain we started smelling sewage coming from our master bath shower and sink. We assumed the rain may have caused a back up for whatever reason, but it never went away. Then we figured maybe it was the pee traps since it had not been lived in. In crawling under the house we found that none of the plumbing in the house had pee traps. Our inspector didn't say anything about this, isn't that kind of a big deal? Then fast forward 3 weeks later, on Christmas night, we get yet another big rain storm and our roof is leaking in 2 spots. The disclosure letter said the roof was only a year old with no issues and our inspector said he found no issues except they used regular shingles on a low slope roof. He used his infrared gun to look for moisture in the ceiling and found none. So now since this leak we have had 3 roofing contractors come out to look and said the roof needs replacing. So my question here is can this be made a claim on our insurance? We had no clue there were issues and everyone painted a pretty picture before we closed.

Welcome to the forum, for your information this is a website dealing with Irish money matters and given that you are able to crawl under your house, I'm guessing it's not an Irish house..

Back