Civil servant in the 1980s, how to claim pension entitlement

crayola234

I was a Civil Servant for 7 years in the 1980s and left to work in the private sector. The Department I worked for no longer exists, was absorbed into another government department. I have correspondence from the original department with details of my start and finish dates etc...

I've emailed the Department of Finance to find out how to claim my deferred pension, now that I'm over 60, but can't get a response.

Any ideas on the correct office for me to contact?

I would imagine that your personnel file is being held in the HR section of whatever Department took on the functions of your former Department. So your best place to start is with the HR Section of that Department. As far as I know, they will need to issue an instruction to the Paymaster General's Office in order for you to start receiving a pension.

Thanks for that. I located the new department and contacted HR. My records are there and the process is underway. Thanks

You would have been entitled to your pension from your 60th birthday so if that was some time ago, you may be entitled to arrears.

Back