Citroen C4 - recommendations?

WaterWater

I am thinking of purchasing a Citroen C4. Does anyone own one and could someone advise me as to its reliability etc.

Citroen are having a "sale" at the moment. I am somewhat suspicious of this sale as I believe they reduce the trade in value of your car by the discount they are offering on the purchase price.

My other half wanted to purchase a Citroen C3 in 2003 under the same offer but ended up purchasing a Peugeot 206. She got nearly double the trade in value of her old car against the Peugeot as against the Citroen.

Do Citroens have a good resale value or do they depreciate much faster than other cars?

My GF traded in her xsara recently, she got feck all for it 7.5k for a 3 year old car. From what I have read the "sale" deals for new cars murders the 2nd hand value of a citroen. My GF hated her citroen after about a month of getting it.

Reviews for the C4

[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]

Hi There

the other half has one of these seems like a nice car.
have a look at the prices on www.cbg.ie and see what price they are been sold for? Did you see the steering wheel on it.

You would prob be better off trying to sell the car yourself rather than trading it in id say you would get more!

My initial contact with 4 Citroen dealers has been mediocre to very good. (Dublin area).
One guy couldn't even identify the models on display in his showroom. He couldn't give me a price on my trade in, said he would call me at home, but never did. Another guy was charging a higher price for metallic paint than everyone else. The Howth Citroen dealer was excellent and was the only one to offer me a test drive, he also sat with me in the car to show me the bits and pieces.
I have been offered €10k, €10480, €10700 and €11k for my own car as a trade in.
It certainly pays to shop around and also very interesting to observe the different selling techniques in the different garages.
I had a query on Citroen so I rang the head office. Still waiting for them to get back to me.

Can't give you any adivce on the C4, but I've have the pleasure of four C5s on my fleet. Frankly, I can't say a good word about them! All have been in the garage repeatedly, with all sorts of reliability issues from electrics to gearboxes. All of the drivers wanted to return them after six months. I've taken Citroen off our fleet based on our experiences - I wouldn't even take a free one!

Thanks Lemurz. I ended up having to chase Citroen for some responses as nobody bothered to return my calls. I drove the C4 and it seemed sluggish. The interior seemed dark and opressive. They have extended their "special offer" and even have increased it by another €500 for this month. I just have this feeling that I may have trouble trying to trade it in in a few years time. I have driven Hondas for the past 20 years ( never had one problem) and just need a change as I think their models look a little dated.

New Honda Civic due end of this year should address any fears you have about models looking dated. Looks like it could be worth waiting for

Saw a saloon version of the new Mazda 3 the other day - looks nice, I believe that it shares the same platform (engine?) as the new Focus.

Having been offered €11.5k as a trade in on my car against a new Peugeot 406 I called to Appleyard in Stillorgan Industrial Estate another Peugeot dealer only to be offered.........€8.5k against a new Peugeot 406. A €3k difference!!! It really does pay to shop around and have your wits about you.

Back