Cirrus card-same as Visa?

siobhanclare

hiya,

can you use a card that has the cirus sign to hire a car.

I'm moving to mayo in 3 weeks and have an account opened but the card has the cirus sign, not visa. I will need to hire a car and will not have any other card to use.

Thank you

Re: cirus card?

My understanding is that cirus simply allows you to use ATMs from other banks around the world. I've never heard of it being used like a credit/debit card.

Sqounk is spot on-Cirrus and Visa are totally unrelated. Cirrus is a type of ATM card.

See the [broken link removed] for a brief explantion of Cirrus.

If the card has the Laser/Maestro symbol, you will be able to use it as a debit card.

Call the rental agency in advance to check what they will accept. Without a credit card, you may have to put down a substantial cash deposit to secure a car rental.

Thanks for the replies.

I understand now that it's the Laser symbol that allows you to use it at pos. Mine has that logo so that answers the question.

Cheers

yes i understand that the laser facility only works in Ireland but the card can be used in any atm displaying the cirus symbol.

many thanks for the information

Also, AIB Laser cards now have the Maestro debit facility which will be accepted abroad, just not very widely, yet.

Back