Christmas Bank Holidays.

• Thread starter delaneyd159
  • Start date
D

delaneyd159

What do you think of this? No one loosing out, but intereting none the less...

"The Government has issued a statement aimed at clearing up confusion about the Christmas and New Year public holidays this year.
The Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment said many people were under the mistaken belief that, because Christmas Day, St Stephen's Day and New Year's Day all fell on the weekend, the following weekdays would automatically become public holidays.

However, the Department said this was not the case.

It said workers were still entitled to a day off or additional pay in respect of the three bank holidays, but the day off must come within a month of the holiday and does not automatically fall on the following Monday or Tuesday."

The full statement is available here. I too always thought that the next working day had to be given if a public holiday fell on a non working day. I didn't realise that the employer had some discretion in terms of when to grant the day in lieu.

What will the civil service be doing ?

Anyone know ?

( There must be a few lurking around here )

Re: What will the civil service be doing ?

What will the civil service be doing ?

Which public or civil service department(s) in particular?

Clubman,

I was wondering would there might be an overall agreement for non public facing :) C Ss

Did the department indicate the basis for their announcement ? Is there some legislation covering bank holidays, or is it just established practice ?

z

It is covered under the [broken link removed]

This is quite clear on the matter.

Nogser

Civil Service offices are closed on the Monday and Tuesday

"The Organisation of Working Time Act, 1997, provides for a maximum annual leave entitlement of 4 weeks, although an employee's contract could give greater rights"

This is from the oasis site ..should this say minimum annual leave

Back