Childrens Allowance Suspension?

Well Alaskaonline got a second one as well. Chances are that the same mail merge/SQL query was done again, and thinking about it probably by accident/ineptitude rather than on purpose.

i hope so with the "by accident". if it happens soon again, i am surely asking the SW for some explainations. for now, i pretend i am not offended and get on with it like the 100.000 others that received the mail :(

Nope, not when they send out the same letter to the same people every few months.
exactly!

i got mine twice within 9 months (!!!) and not within two years, that is a difference jaybird. and before sending out these letters, why not check who is employed in ireland, pays the full wack of irish taxes etc.? i find it a bit hypocritical to treat me very irish when it comes to payments like taxes and yet indicating at the same time, that i might not need cb for my daughter cause i could have left the country and therefore checking every couple of months on me via these letters.
i don't really get it and yes, i can be offended over it if i want to especially when those who dont work, dont pay taxes and just technically spoken are more "free" to leave this country are not checked on once within the last 15 years.
get this "checking up" system on people right - it saves us a lot of tax money!

exactly!

i got mine twice within 9 months (!!!) and not within two years, that is a difference jaybird. and before sending out these letters, why not check who is employed in ireland, pays the full wack of irish taxes etc.? i find it a bit hypocritical to treat me very irish when it comes to payments like taxes and yet indicating at the same time, that i might not need cb for my daughter cause i could have left the country and therefore checking every couple of months on me via these letters.
i don't really get it and yes, i can be offended over it if i want to especially when those who dont work, dont pay taxes and just technically spoken are more "free" to leave this country are not checked on once within the last 15 years.
get this "checking up" system on people right - it saves us a lot of tax money!

A lot of what you're saying is true, and actually maybe it isnt a bad idea to inform them that you got two letters. I got my letter about six months ago, so my uptake on it is its something new they're introducing.. Maybe it's a glitch in the system that needs to be ironed out? I for one am happy about it all because, i'm sick to death of people defrauding us..

I really doubt if Welfare have a programme which can isolate names which are not what may be perceived to be traditionally not Irish and go about sending a mailshot to those people. Rather, there may be one which picks up details on parents may have first obtained an RSI number within say the last 10 years or other indicators that they have originated outside this state as statistically not all migrants stay in the County they move to, I certainly didn't nor did a huge number of my contemporaries who departed these shores in the '80's to mid '90's. Migrants go where there is work and tend leave when it dries up, therefore there will have been a lot of claimants leaving within the past year or so. It would be folly for Welfare to not begin the exercise with that sector of our Society, its not Racist its sense.

In regard to the Claimants who have received a second letter, its not beyond the realm of possibility that it is in fact a second check? Just because a person was here in March 2008 doesn't ensure they will be on October of 2008 or now or next August does it? Any of us who are still here and qualify for the payment will continue to receive it, I personally wouldn't have a problem filling in a few lines on a letter and posting it back to Donegal if and when I get my letter, I see Child Benefit as a wonderful gift from the State, a legacy from the good years!!

Give it a rest, Towger! It's a letter 'every few months' now, is it? :rolleyes:

It was less that a year, maybe April/May I can't remember the exact date. Call it April, so like Alaskaonline 9 months and 1.6 weeks. I would call that a few months and overly excessive.

I really doubt if Welfare have a programme which can isolate names which are not what may be perceived to be traditionally not Irish and go about sending a mailshot to those people.

It could be on either. The system for paying the money via EFT is MS SQL/.NET based, so it would actually be easy to filter out non Irish surnames. I have heard of credit card application systems who reject people with 4 or more syllables in their surnames as a means of filtering out certain ethnic groups.

It could be on either. The system for paying the money via EFT is MS SQL/.NET based, so it would actually be easy to filter out non Irish surnames. I have heard of credit card application systems who reject people with 4 or more syllables in their surnames as a means of filtering out certain ethnic groups.
The selection is done by isolating the field with code given to nationalities when claim is registered (i.e 01=Irish, 02= English, etc.), nothing to do with 'Irish-sounding surnames'.

It makes sense to send letters twice a year as non nationals are leaving by the boatload. I have a relation in Ireland receiving a payment from another country and they send her a letter every year to make sure she's not dead. She's delighted to fill out the form from this country to get her payment (something the Irish rules disallow her on) and is very grateful for it. There have to be checks and balances on all payments because at the end of the day we're all paying from them. It's more logical to target non nationals in this particular instance - child allowance, same as it more logical in the border area to target people claiming on both sides. A targeted search yields better results.

Looks like the State will have a more integrated view of citizens at some stage in the future;

[broken link removed]

This would allow them to cross-reference (for example) child benefit payments with income tax, to highlight those that aren't earning anything in the State.

As child benefit is paid to mothers and the mothers are non Irish I suspect this is the reason the letters are arriving more frequently. It appears to me that this SW doing its job as all of us tax payers expect them to do.
Perhaps other sections should be doing similar checks

Back