Children Alowance

Ben147

We have 3 children now aged 7,9,11. In 2008 when our first was born we set up for child
Benefit to go into an post savings. Last week we enquired with an post what out savings balance was. We expected it to be about 30k .. but it's only 9k.
On further investigation after contacting welfare office, our children's allowance was stopped in Dec 2011.
Turns our because we were out of the country for one year (Dec 2011 to Dec 2012) they stopped payments. We would have got letters to verify we were in our house.. but we were on work assignment for the year.
Has anyone experienced this and what's the chance of getting payments back dated from 2019 to 2011.
Thanks

As you say yourself, letters arrived in your house verifying if you were living there and they were obviously never replied to. Reminders are also sent out when no response comes from the letters, then payments are stopped. This has happened to my children every few years and they always respond. Why didn't you follow up on this when you returned and why didn't you check before you left that benefit would be paid/stopped? As far as I know there are several thousands of payments stopped every year. In answer to your question if you'll get back the years you were here refunded. I'd advise you to contact the welfare office with all your information fully authenticated and in your possession and see where that takes you. Lesson learned I guess.

Found this and it should answer your question

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Claims-and-Late-Claims.aspx
Limitation on payment
The legislation limits to 6 months (the last 6 months prior to the date the claim is actually made), the period for which payments may be backdated under this clause. Entitlement throughout the period must also be proven to the satisfaction of the deciding or appeals officer.
NOTE 1: This limitation does not apply in the case of Child Benefit. Where a late claim for Child Benefit is accepted under the heading of "good cause" for late claim, payment will be made from the date entitlement would have first existed if the claim had been made at the correct time.

Thanks for the replys folks.

In reply to ..Why didn't you follow up on this when you returned and why didn't you check before you left that benefit would be paid/stopped?

I never thought that payment would be stopped.. it didn't cross my mind. I had 3 kids under 4 and was busy moving to the states for a year with work. When I got back I had no reason to check... as I just assumed payments were accruing in savings for when kids get older.

Back