Child Safety in Cars

Lauren

Hi,
I'm interested to know where children (not babies) usually sit in cars and whether they wear seatbelts and/or child restraints. I'm interested in opinions on where an 8 year old is safest in a car. I have always insisted back seat with a seatbelt but after reading Oasis I'm not so sure.. Heres a quote from Oasis at
"...Children over 4 years of age may occupy a forward facing front seat of a vehicle only if they are using a safety belt or an appropriate child restraint.
A person aged 12 years or more who is under 150 cm in height is not required to use a seatbelt even if this is provided. They are of course free to wear the belt but people under this height are outside the limits of the safety belt design parameters, so there is a possibility that a safety belt could be injurious to them in some circumstances. For this reason, the law allows them to choose for themselves to belt up or not to belt up. This is irrespective of whether they are sitting in the front or back of the vehicle...."

A HUGE bugbear of mine also as we are a very safety conscious family, extending to the kids, my oldest at almost four would not allow anyone to travel unbelted.
However before recently buying her new carseat I was overwhelmed by the vast array of carseats and how difficult they are to install.
Also guidelines are thin on the ground.
I recently got the Child safety in cars DVD and found it just a waste of time as unless you have a qualified fitter to fit your car seat and in many cases place the child in the car seat I find that I am still unconvinced that my kids are safe when travelling.
I cannot answer your questions I am afraid.

Agree with purple, in a booster in back seat with seat belt, my 4 year is tall for her age, and yet without a booster the seatbelt catches on her neck, cannot see how it would restrain her upon impact, unless she was in booster so seatbelt is across her chest.

You do have a legal obligation to make sure that all children are properly restrained in a car. As has been said, a booster seat is the best idea, as it make the safety belt "fit", so it does restrain the child.

Back