Home Child damaged neighbours car

C

casie

My two year old scratched a neighbours car with a stone today - quite a bit of damage but none of it deep. My neighbour is going to the garage to get a quote tomorrow. Our home insurance policy with AA covers Personal Liability and I was wondering does anyone know if this damage to other's property also be covered under this?

i would think the personal liability covers accidents that happen on your property only.ask your insurer.

Your child at 2 years old CANNOT be held liable for this incident. Your policy covers your LEGAL liability rather than your MORAL responsibility.

Where the damage occurred is not relevant as your policy normally covers your liability and that of your family, within the policy limits.

Your neighbour will not succeed if s/he issues legal proceedings against you and your child.

Morally, you might want to pay out of your pocket to stay on good terms with neighbour. Otherwise, Id be prepared for the long haul.

An angle might be for neighbour to sue YOU for lack of parental supervision. They might succeed in that case, but you would then have been negligent and if insurers ran the case to the full, you might not want this publicised in the local papers.

I'd be surprised if you insurance covers this. your household insurance would be the best bet, but I wouldn't hold my breath definitely worth a call. While the 2 year can't be liable, I guess you can be as she was unsupervised.

Same happened a friend - her son & a friend managed to scratch every panel on a fairly new car. The kids helpfully scratched in their names, so the owner had no problem finding them !!!

Thanks for replies. Just want to make it clear that we called over to neighbour as soon as we saw what our child was up to and told her what had happened - we immediately offered to cover all costs. Really I was just wondering if we'd be able to claim some back off our insurance policy. Rang AA this morning and they were most unhelpful - couldn't get a straight answer out of them but they will send me a copy of our policy! They said the case would have to be investigated. My understanding of personal liability cover is also cover if I cause damage to someone or their property e.g. my child kicking a ball through someone's window! Guess we'll just have to wait and see what kinda quote my neighbour gets from the garage and also what insurance policy quotes.

I wish all neighbours were like you! I have the opposite problem, I caught my 2 kids, 5yr old and 6yr old, different families, scribbling all over my car with stones. It's an old car, 1999, but they have destroyed it. The bonnet is covered in houses, cars, stick men, and yes, they signed their names. I didn't mind that so much, I thought that was innocent enough, but they had done scratches the whole length of the car. It was so big, so damaged, it was hard to be angry! I caught them, went straight to the neighbours, I wasn't angry, in fact probably too calm, just said, look, it happened, we'll price it and share the costings. My 3 yr old was with them, but he says he didnt touch the car, and the other 2 didnt say he did any, so I believe him. But I did say I'd chip in something because he was with them. Another stupid naive mistake of mine. I got a quotes of over €1000 to re-spray the car, too much for an old car, so I said I'd just do the bad bits, so it would end up costing €150 each. Which I though was fair enough. I've just had one family over, hassling me, saying its too much, then examining the car, saying I was lying about the scratches, they were old. The other family are avoiding me completely, haven't seen them. I now wish I had called the guards when it happened, or taken photos of the scratches. So, if I were you, I would take photos, something to prove you are not lying. I know you are coming from the opposite side, but you try to be nice, do the right things and it gets thrown in your face. I'm not quite sure what I can do now. I feel a bit intimidated.

Even the thought of any kids with stones near my car brings me out in a cold sweat. I would not take any chances with stuff like this either, I would report it to the Gardai to be on the safe side.

Did you get this sorted?
In my situation, one family ended up moving out without telling me, and the family are still avoiding me. So, I have to go to the small claims court.

Did you get this sorted?
In my situation, one family ended up moving out without telling me, and the family are still avoiding me. So, I have to go to the small claims court.

You are going to the small claims court to get €150 off the family? I know the costs of the SCC are minimal, but is it worth the emotional hassle and inconvenience and time spent processing the claim through the court. I'd doubt very much it is.

Last edited:
Did you get this sorted?

I think this will be a non runner.

AFAIK the small claims court only deal with consumer disputes.

EDIT:
Just went and checked on the SCC site and it says that:-

"Claims can also be made for minor damage to your property"

so maybe you can bring a case after all.

Your child at 2 years old CANNOT be held liable for this incident. Your policy covers your LEGAL liability rather than your MORAL responsibility.

Where the damage occurred is not relevant as your policy normally covers your liability and that of your family, within the policy limits.

Your neighbour will not succeed if s/he issues legal proceedings against you and your child.

Morally, you might want to pay out of your pocket to stay on good terms with neighbour. Otherwise, Id be prepared for the long haul.

An angle might be for neighbour to sue YOU for lack of parental supervision. They might succeed in that case, but you would then have been negligent and if insurers ran the case to the full, you might not want this publicised in the local papers.

I think you're mixing up insurance cover with legal liability. Just because something isnt covered by an insurance policy, it doesnt mean you arent liable for it. If a child in your care misbehaves and does damage, then you can be held responsible for the damage.

I don't believe you are correct, but I am always open to correction. Can you give me any references review?

Back