Cheap-to-Run Small Car for Country Driving - any suggestions...?

Joanne

If looking for a 2nd hand cheap-to-run small car for country driving (not city driving), would anyone have any suggestions on which makes/models to opt for?

Would a diesel generally be a better option (more economical) than an economical Japanese petrol car?

Any advice would be appreciated..! :)

Toyota Yaris
May be bit more expensive to buy but is probably the best of the superminis. Very econcomical and becasue it is a Toyota will never break down so will be very cheap to run. New model launched last week so should knock a couple of hundred off the asking price for old shape car.

AS for petrol/diesel, depend really how much driving you are going to be doing but is unlikely to save much over the Yaris

What's your expected annual mileage?

What size of car would suit best?

Without this kind of info. it's impossible to make a realistic call.

Average mileage, maybe under 6000 miles per year.

A small car would be ok, as it's just for me

What ever you do, do not get a Punto (or any FIAT). I agree with soy, get a Yaris, even though it's more expensive initially you'll be glad in the long run.

6000 p.a. will not make a diesel a realistic option.

If it's just for yourself, you won't need a big car either.

Fiesta/Yaris/Micra are all fine little cars. Loads about too.

michaelm said:
What ever you do, do not get a Punto (or any FIAT). I agree with soy, get a Yaris, even though it's more expensive initially you'll be glad in the long run.

F I A T - Fix It Again Tomorrow

RS2K said:
6000 p.a. will not make a diesel a realistic option.

If it's just for yourself, you won't need a big car either.

Fiesta/Yaris/Micra are all fine little cars. Loads about too.
Thanks - so for a diesel car to be more economical do you have to be doing more miles?

I don't really like the old shape Micra. The new shape looks quite nice though.

I had thought about a Fiesta. I suppose a Yaris would be more economical and reliable than a Fiesta over the long run, even though it might be a little more expensive to ppurchase?

Yes. Diesels cost more to buy, but are much lighter on fuel. So the more miles you do the better the saving. If your mileage is low, you might not ever recoup the extra purchase price.

Fiestas are superb little cars. Parts are fine, as is reliabilty. Go for the 1.25 16valve Zetec version if you can. They handle really well too.

Thanks

Out of interest, what mileage would you have to be doing in order for a diesel to possibly become more economical?

I think you would be looking at covering 20-25k before the Diesel would win out.

That's if you buy new and pay a big premium for the diesel version.

If you are lucky enough to find a low miles diesel (itself a rare thing) for a price comparable to an equivalent petrol, then you'll be ahead from day 1 as regards fuel consumption. I think a 50% improvement is about the mark.

Historically diesel engines tended to be bigger in cc's than petrol counterparts, to make up for lack of power, and required frequent oil changes and servicing. That's all changed now. Modern turbo diesels, especially the 2nd generation common rail units, are smooth, quiet, repsonsive, and powerful. They are no longer any more expensive to tax, insure or service.

Joanne said:
If looking for a 2nd hand cheap-to-run small car for country driving (not city driving), would anyone have any suggestions on which makes/models to opt for?

A small car such as a Toyota Yaris is perfect for city driving. For country driving though, you should give priority to car safety. There are alot of four-wheel drives out there, some driven by crazy drivers, that I wouldn't care to crash into if I were in a Toyota Yaris.

Back