Changing sterling cheque.

Allen

I have a (Viridian) cheque for almost £1000 sterling which I was going to drop into the quicklodge box in my local AIB branch, where I have my account. Would I be likely to save much (say more than around €15) by shopping around to change it?

You'll probably be limited in shopping around to those institutions where you already have accounts. I doubt if many banks would cash a GBP cheque over the counter for an unknown customer.

Doesn't seem worth the effort to me.

dont drop it into a quick lodge in anything other than your local branch, in my experience they send it to the branch to be changed, if possiable take it to the FX counter in the branch, with BOI anyway its normally lodged that day to your account

You will more than likely have to lodge it to your account which can then take anything up to 30 days to clear so check this before you write a euro cheque on the strength of it or you are likely to be charged "uncleared interest ".

I know in my local Credit Union you can cash any cheque there and then. However I work in another town that won't do that, you have to lodge it. Ring a few places and ask what the position is.

Back