changing solicitors?

Bobo why are happy paying €484 (inc VAT) for the same product (all things being equal)? Is it a case that you don't want to call the original solicitor and tell him you've got another quote? If it were me I'd swallow my embarrassment and make the call.......

Sarah

www.rea.ie

Looks like the solicitor in question is still including stamp duty on Mortgages at 1% if you ask me. It was stated here a few days ago that some solicitors were unaware of its demise.

Bobo why are happy paying €484 (inc VAT) for the same product (all things being equal)?

But there is no assurance that the same product/service is being offered by the two solicitors. The following comment would indicate that the OP doesn't have much idea of the modus operandi or of the quality of service offered by at least one of the contenders.

the solicitor i am thinking of going for ... i presume he is the frontman for his organisation and has other people doing the work for him.

€484 represents one tenth of 1% of their total investment in this property. If I were in their position I would worry more about the reputation & quality of service (vouched by recommendations from trusted sources) of the respective contenders than this small differential in fees.

Look - its like all services. Some people charge very little money for their services. Some people charge more. The client/customer chooses their advisor based on what they feel is important to them. I have always held the view that I need a good accountant, doctor and dentist - all of whom I would like to feel comfortable with and feel confident are reliable, trustworthy and will do a professional job. I am willing to pay a premium for these services. I am a solicitor myself. Some cheapy professionals do a great job, some pricey professionals don't. My big worry with the cheapies though is that they cannot possibly do a thorough professional job for some of the absolutely ridiculous prices quoted. Very likely it will be a legal executive doing the job. If it all goes horribly wrong, the client can rely on the solicitors insurance/Law Society to fix the problem ultimately but that will all take time and cause untold stress.

It is a very competitive market out there so it is possible to get a very good solicitor to work for what I regard as utterly unremunerative fees. I personally will not work for those fees. Interestingly, I seldom act for ftb's these days - in my experience they are price driven only. But I act for people the second , third and fourth time around who have not liked their ftb experience and want a degree of comfort in their dealings.

Coming back to the OP - the E350.00 is described as a fee to deal with the mortgage. Its not stamp duty. The E1000.00 fee will include any portion of the fee for dealing with the mortgage. Its a straight up choice of a fee of E1000 or E1350.00.

My view: go on recommendation.

mf

Back