Changing Solicitors

Swatch

I feel my father is being given the 'runaround' by his solicitor at the moment, and it wouldn't be the first time. He has been with this solicitor for years, purely because his family had been with that firm for years, and the solicitor is aware of this and possibly thinks my dad would never change solicitors being 'set in his way' and all that.
My dad isn't organised when it comes to serious issues like this, and I'm just worried that if we were to change solicitors, is there any way we can make sure that all my dads files, documents etc are handed over? Or does anyone have any advice in general about changing solicitors? Thanks in advance.

You're Dad will have to sign an "Authority" for the Solicitor to release files, deeds, etc. You're Dad can of course collect his files, etc himself but I would recommend waiting until he has another Solicitor lined up and get him to collect same on foot of an "Authority" signed by your Dad.

Just from my experience in working in a solicitor's office it was always the clients who had been with the firm longer who seemed to get any "preferential treatment"! that even applies right down to when he may ring the office and the receptionist will know what he's talking about. In my experience, there isn't really a culture of trying impress new clients.
Be very careful, I wouldn't change solicitors without choosing a solicitor who has been recommended to you by someone you trust.
If you feel that your father is been given the runaround don't be afraid to accompany him the next time he has an appointment and ask any questions you may have.
Finally, it is worthy to note that many solicitors are very busy, I know that sounds like a childish excuse but it's true, especially if it is in relation to a conveyancing matter or similar and sometimes you do have to be a bit demanding to get what you want!

I think Swatch mentioned on another thread recently that (s)he had discovered that the problem giving rise to their Dad's grieviance with his solicitor was actually caused by their Dad's failure to respond to correspondence from the solicitor and as a result the solicitor was blameless.

mods, it might not be a bad idea to suspend this thread so as not to waste people's time contributing.

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=237149#post237149

Back