Changing Solicitor

I

IanDublin

Myself and my partner bought a house and found a solicitor to handle the purchase. Anyway last friday 4th August we went in to sign the contracts in his office.He said we should have closing by the 25th August.
I got an email from the mortgage broker yesterday saying the bank would give us the fixed interest rate of 4.69% if we closed before the 25th, otherwise it would be 4.79 %. I sent an email to the solicitor just to inform him of this.
He then told me that we had inadvertently not signed the contracts the day we went in. He said he had posted them out on Wednesday yet we still have not got them. He did not even ring and give us the chance to go in and sign them again, which would have saved us a few days between posting them back and forth.
So i said we would drop them into his office, signed, as soon as we got them and could he try and help us meet the deadline of the 25th. He then replied as if i had just insulted him, that "we are not behoving to bank deadlines" and "the issue of interest rates from your lender quite frankly are no concern of ours".
He said if we wish to complete before the 25th, then hire another firm of solicitors. Having told us that we'd be closed before the 25th, in his reply he wrote
"We will not be in a position to close this before 24th August as this is a wholly unrealistic time frame."

Out of principle Id like to change firms now, seeing as we're going to miss the deadline for the interest anyway. You'd think he was doing it for free. Absolutely no sense of customer service as far as i can see.
Do you think I should just grin and bear it or make a point and change solicitors?

Obviously change solicitors if there are no longer any time constraints but be sure that your current solicitor will not bill you for work already done on your conveyance.
Call his bluff, he might be surprised that you do and cooperate. Unlikely though.
Search other threads for recommended solicitors for house purchase.

Back