Changing mortgages; being penalised by existing bank for staying with them

Aodhán

I'm with BofI, and my main mortgage is at 3.1% fixed, and a smaller one at 2.9%. The fixed period is expiring presently. The mortgage is 60% (at most) of the current value, and I've never missed a repayment in the past five years. The house is also a B1 BER so should be entitled to the Green mortgage rate.

However, BofI's "revised fixed rate" for me is: 1 or 2 years: 2.7%; 3 or 5 years: 2.8%; 10 years, 3.1%. This exceeds the rates they advertised here, 2.25% for 7-year fixed: https://www.bonkers.ie/blog/mortgag...unches-new-green-mortgage-interest-rate-of-2/

They said these better rates are only available to new customers; they are charging a higher rate to existing customers, something which apparently is being outlawed in other sections of Irish financial services (https://www.irishtimes.com/business...lties-across-car-and-home-insurance-1.4626657)

Is there any place which would have a cheaper 5-year, or even 10-year, fixed rate?

On Bonkers today, the advertised Bank of Ireland fixed rate for a green mortgage at 60% LTV is 1.9%. for 4-year fixed:
  • Interest rate: 1.9%. APRC: 3%.
  • Minimum age for applicants: 18 years.
  • New customer business only.

If you provide more details in the thread below you will get some good advice on what mortgage provider you should switch to.

Hi @Aodhán

Could you provide the following pieces of information:
  • Current lender: BOI
  • Outstanding mortgage balance (how much you still owe), for both interest rates
  • Approximate value of your property
  • The date you started your fixed-rate mortgage (month and year), for both interest rates
  • How many years you fixed for, for both interest rates
  • Your current mortgage interest rate
  • Your current monthly repayment (excluding any overpayments)
  • Your property's BER (Building Energy Rating) – check it here or estimate it if necessary
  • Are you due to get extra cashback from your current lender in the future, e.g., "1% after 5 years", or "2% cashback monthly"? If so, how much and when?
I will then estimate the savings you would make by switching to different rates with other lenders.

Back