Changing location in Ireland, do I need to change account too ?

O

oli_ro

Changing location in Ireland, do I need to move current account too ?

I am relocating with Limerick. I have been living in Dub for a whike and have an account with BOI.

What's the best way to organize the banking over there. Keep the current account and try to do all the banking over the phone/online and hope there will be no operation which requires me to physically go to the branch.

create a new account in the limerick brach, but I am reluctant to do that because I need to transfer DD, apply for new laser card, new overdraft facility fee, etc...

did anyone have to go thrugh this, what's the best way to this ?

Well, I opened a current account at BOI in one town,and then moved, but kept the account. I sometimes do transactions at BOI in another town which is nearer and this works very well. Most of my banking is done on line. So yes you can go to any branch of BOI to do transactions. What you might find is if you pay money in to your account at another branch it will not be credited as quickly.

I still have my main account in my home town. Have had to deal with them around half a dozen times (via phone or mail) in the past 5 years. So, I wouldn't bother changing, but it really depends on how often you see yourself using the branch.

I don't know if there is much (any?) benefit in knowing your local bank manager any more (when it comes to borrowing).

Back