Changing from Laser to Credit Card ?

hoopman

Hi I currently use a laser card from my current account with Ptsb for buying groceries/petrol/ paying bills and atm etc.

I've always been weary of getting a credit card for fear of fraud or losing it. And usually I get my sisters cc number if I am booking flights or holidays on line.

I have decided that its time I got my own, but I only intend to use it for buying flights, holidays online. I do not intend to use for getting credit as I never buy anything if I can't afford it. (the only ever loan I ever got was for my house)
I have read through the key posts on credit cards, but was hoping that maybe someone could answer a few questions I have.

1. Should I just apply for a card of ptsb seems as my current account is with them or should I go elsewhere

2. If i get one off Ptsb will I still retain my laser card or do they just give me one that covers all. if so is this a good or bad thing.

3. Do I have to pay stamp duty on both of them.

4. Is there anything else I should look out for.

Thanks in advance

1. Should I just apply for a card of ptsb seems as my current account is with them or should I go elsewhere
Depends on what you want. If you plan (as you should if at all possible) to clear the CC bill each month before interest charges kick in then the rate charged is largely of academic interest. PTSB Visa has some useful advantages - e.g. like other cards it charges the lowest foreign exchange margin of 1.75% on non € transactions and it does not charge interest on cash advances until the normal billing/credit period has elapsed (it does charge the cash advance fee of 1.5% subject to min and max limits). Many other cards charge interest on cash advances from the time that they are advanced. See www.itsyourmoney.ie for more on the cost comparisons of different credit cards.
2. If i get one off Ptsb will I still retain my laser card or do they just give me one that covers all. if so is this a good or bad thing.
Your Laser card is totally separate from the credit card. No harm in having both for different purposes. Remember that there is €30 p.a. stamp duty on a CC and €10 on an ATM/Laser card.
3. Do I have to pay stamp duty on both of them.
Yes - see above and on www.revenue.ie.
4. Is there anything else I should look out for.
See above.

Back