Changing external appearance of house and planning permission

DeepeshSS

Hello all,

I have recently bought a derelict cottage that sits in about an acre of land in a very rural area. I think I understand most of the permitted development rules however the one about external appearance is a tad vague.

The cottage at the moment is traditional concrete covered in plaster. We intend to insulate and clad the exterior walls in metal cladding. Does this constitute a material change in appearance and therefore require planning permission?

I understand the rule is to ensure there is a cohesive appearance to the area however we are literally the only house in the area with the nearest neighbour about 0.25km away.

I’ll call the planning dept but just wanted to get some ideas beforehand.

Many thanks,

Deepesh

Metal cladding would definitely constitute a material change in appearance to my mind but planning dept are only people whose advice will count

What level of research did you perform on this building prior to purchase? Have you confirmed whether the building is listed on the derelict sites register? Is it connected to utilities / services? Has property tax been paid every year?

Bringing a derelict cottage back into use will require full planning permission, and extensive renovations will mean you must bring the property up to a B2 energy rating or better. Given the very rural location you mention, you will likely need to install a new sewage treatment system, do you have any idea whether the surrounding ground is suitable or what would be required to meet the regs?

Back