Chances of Jury Service in Dublin v Rural Areas?

bond-007 said:
The employers letter must state that you are indespensible and he can't operate his business without you and that it would cause great hardship. Nothing else will work.

Not true. The fact that I was doing a course was good enough to be excused.

Yes, students and those in education are exempt. I suppose at the end of the day its the county registars call or the presiding judge's as whether you will get excused.

loodles said:
Any ideas how I can get out of it? Had a terrible experience the last time - was picked for a Jury where I knew the defendant.
I think it's fairly easy to get out of it if you so desire. Rather than just make something up you could go to your GP and get a letter saying it's causing you stress and could be detrimental to your mental health. That will be that, the court registrar (or whomever it is) wont blink. On a separate note, anyone doing jury duty should check their house insurance policy . . my very basic FBD policy pays €25 per day when doing jury duty.

bond-007 said:
Yes, students and those in education are exempt. I suppose at the end of the day its the county registars call or the presiding judge's as whether you will get excused.

I was working at the time - just happened to be doing a work related course that week.

Did you have to give proof of the course? or just the letter? I mite try that route myself!

loodles said:
Did you have to give proof of the course? or just the letter? I mite try that route myself!

Just wrote the letter. Then a few days later I phoned to make sure I was excused.

Just been called for jury service, expected to last three days. How does it work? If in the morning you are not chosen to sit on the jury, do they tick your certificate of attendance anyway? Or will I be expected to sit into my car at c.11am and use best endeavours to get in to work, then start again with the same the following morning...?

Yes, you must show up every morning unless directed otherwise. You won't get the cert of attendance until the last day.
You are supposed to return to work on any days you aren't called to sit on a jury.

What happens if you have no way of getting to the court? No car, no public transport etc?

Only 2 people I know have ever been called for jury duty, and one guy was "turned down" on each day he turned up (note:dress in dirty jeans and baseball cap, ans if possible, have long greasy hair, seems to have worked for him!)

I got called a few weeks for july, i used to live in Donaghmede so it got posted to my mams but i am living in Ashbourne now so i will have to get the bus in every day which means it will cost me more than driving to work. You should get allowance for travelling and lunches. As if you worked local it is costing you more to do it.

My friend said that if your job do excuse you and they just put you back for it again.

Just been in touch with the court I have been called to for Jury service next week. Apparently i will be issued with an attendance cert each morning, upon requesting it, regardless of whether I am chosen for the jury each day. So if I'm not chosen it looks like I'm free to spend the remainder of the day as I choose. As far as work is concerned I have the cert of attendance to show I was at court.

I'm not being smart, it's just that my work place is at least 2 hours away. So why take on the stress of rushing to work and only getting there for the second half of the day? And potentially repeat this process for three days running... or longer.

Certain professions are also excluded from jury duty i.e. doctors, lecturers in third level etc.

I'm not being smart, it's just that my work place is at least 2 hours away. So why take on the stress of rushing to work and only getting there for the second half of the day? And potentially repeat this process for three days running... or longer.
When I did jury duty It was 10 days that we had to attend each morning to see if you were among the chosen few. When the judge released us each morning it was off home to enjoy the rest of the day off. I would make no attempt to go to work in that case. When you got the cert of attendance, it is of no concern of anyone if you were not picked on any day.

Back