CGT on rental property

I am not sure that she even made a gain at all - the sale price of 240 is below cost of 320 originally and arguably the acquisition cost in 2016 was 125 and not 65

Bought an apt with civil partner as PPR in 2007 €320,000
(2016) Valuation at the time was €130,000 - this was a low ball valuation which I should have challenged

Fast Forward to 2022 , property is worth ~€240,000 & I wish to sell it , as I am out of negative equity
This problem all rests of the correct market value in 2016. I'm not a valuer and I have no idea about the correct valuation here but the above rollercoaster valuations pattern is not credible. I'd be seeking expert professional tax advice and a second opinion on the correct valuation in 2016.

the above rollercoaster valuations pattern is not credible.
It's not implausible. Take the CSO index for apartments outside Dublin for the months of June in 2007, 2016, and 2022.

There was a fall of 48% followed by a rise of 78%.

Buyer is talking about a decline of 64% and increase of 85%.

It's within reasonable parameters (but only just) if it's something like an apartment in a provincial town far from Dublin. People forget how bananas these prices were in 2007 and how impossible they were to sell only a few years later. Recovery in prices started in Dublin in 2012 but the bottom was later in regional areas in particular for apartments.

It's not implausible. Take the CSO index for apartments outside Dublin for the months of June in 2007, 2016, and 2022.

There was a fall of 48% followed by a rise of 78%.

Buyer is talking about a decline of 64% and increase of 85%.

It's within reasonable parameters (but only just) if it's something like an apartment in a provincial town far from Dublin. People forget how bananas these prices were in 2007 and how impossible they were to sell only a few years later. Recovery in prices started in Dublin in 2012 but the bottom was later in regional areas in particular for apartments.
I don't know, maybe I'm wrong but I still have my doubts. For starters, 2016 was 9 years from 2007, not "only a few years".

A fall from €320,000 (actual price) to €130,000 ("low ball valuation which I should have challenged") and a rebound to €240,000 (probable price, per the OP) certainly looks suspect, and the weak link in the chain is the "low ball valuation" in 2016.

And €320K looks frothy even in 2007 for "an apartment in a provincial town far from Dublin".

I'm at a bit of a loss to understand though why the OP is worried about a CGT hit on what appears to be their PPR?

I think it was only their PPR for two years (2007 to 2009).

Well spotted re the valuation. Hard to see what moved around like that on those timelines.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong but I still have my doubts. For starters, 2016 was 9 years from 2007, not "only a few years".
I have spent many years down the coal mines of statistical plausibility checking. This is on the edge but not an obvious red flag.

With this jump in value OP will probably need to revalue for LPT purposes before the sale closes.

Hi ,
Thanks so much I really appreciate all of you taking time to respond.
The lowball valuation was probably in the region of 10k under looking at PPR now for 2016 .
The valuation was carried out in early 2015 though , transaction only closed in 2016 due to delays in third party signing documents which probably makes sense .
Yes, the apt is in a Dublin satellite town , and did swing wildly , fell to less than 100K in 2011, and has been an unbelievable price rollercoaster.

Back