CGT on PPR

irishguy

I have a large enough gain on my PPR currently. What would be the CGT liability if I rented out my house to move into a rented house in a different part of the country for a few years (My employer isn't asking me to move choosing to relocate and work remotely).

From what I can see it would cease to be my PPR after 12 months and then be a investment property where I would pay CGT on the portion of rented out time, even if most of the gain was during the time I lived there.

Is my understanding correct? Anyway of optimizing this?

It’s just a simple time apportionment calculation.

Say you’ve owned it for 15 years and you’ve a gain of €100k. Let’s say you move out for the next three years. 16/18 of the €100k is exempt. Then 16/19 the following year. It doesn’t matter when the gains notionally arose on paper.

It’s just a simple time apportionment calculation.

Say you’ve owned it for 15 years and you’ve a gain of €100k. Let’s say you move out for the next three years. 16/18 of the €100k is exempt. Then 16/19 the following year. It doesn’t matter when the gains notionally arose on paper.

Thanks that's what I was thinking. It no longer counts as a PPR after 12 months of living there right?

It no longer counts as a PPR as soon as you move out

If you dispose of it, the final 12 months of ownership are considered as PPR, even if you do not live there, for the purposes of the CGT calculation

Back