If I make less than €1,270 capital gains, do I have to make a return?

MichaelR

Hello,

I want to maybe play around with small-time investment, probably in either Revolut or Trading212. As the total capital at first won't exceed 100 Euro, I should be well within the 1270 CGT exception in case of success. I don't want to be caught out having to bother with tax at this level.

So I have some questions:

- If I am well within the limit, do I still have to file the return for CGT?

- It seems that ETF trading is covered by income tax and not CGT? How can I work out which instruments are subject to income tax and which instruments are subject to CGT?

No, you don't have to file a CGT return if your gains are inferior to € 1,270

If you are only investing € 100, it is most unlikely you will make gains anywhere near that

ETFs are not subject to Income tax but to Exit tax @ 41%

Most of the ETFs you will find on Trading212 or Revolut are subject to Exit tax

Thanks! So basically, steer clear of ETFs. I guess the kind of commodities traded on these platforms are ETFs too, so if I want to do small-time investing experiments I should stick to shares?

Most if the commodity funds are probably ETNs and liable to CGT

You will need to read the documentation for each product and educate yourself on the different types of product structures available

Probably worth saying if you make a loss where CGT is involved, you should file it for future offset purpose. Granted you might say 100 is only a small amount. Probably should still do it to get familiarise yourself especially if you planned to do this long term and your portfolio grows beyond the 100

Back