Certificate of non probate?

Rookey

I’m hoping someone may be able to help me understand what I need to do in simple terms. I’ve looked up courts.ie / probate and honestly I’m more confused.

My father passed away a few months ago. No will but surviving spouse. He had no property, a few thousand in an Irish bank account (well under 25K) and another few thousand in an account abroad. The sum of both is still well under 25K. I dealt with the Irish Bank with no issue and the money was transferred to my mother. I assume/assumed no probate was required due to the value of the estate. Is this correct?

Now for the international bank.. He was a citizen of where he has this account but lived here for 30+ years. The bank is looking for a certificate of non probate? Is this a thing? Was there some other form I was meant to fill out? I’m looking after all of this for my mother as she’s not in the best place and wouldn’t have a clue. I have her full permission to act as an administrator and look after everything required.

I didn’t want to go down the solicitor route at the start as it was a small estate…

Any advise more than welcome!

Hi Rookey

Just wondering if you got a resolution to this? Hoping to deal with my father's estate without going through probate and interested to know if this certificate was needed.

I’m hoping someone may be able to help me understand what I need to do in simple terms. I’ve looked up courts.ie / probate and honestly I’m more confused.

My father passed away a few months ago. No will but surviving spouse. He had no property, a few thousand in an Irish bank account (well under 25K) and another few thousand in an account abroad. The sum of both is still well under 25K. I dealt with the Irish Bank with no issue and the money was transferred to my mother. I assume/assumed no probate was required due to the value of the estate. Is this correct?

Now for the international bank.. He was a citizen of where he has this account but lived here for 30+ years. The bank is looking for a certificate of non probate? Is this a thing? Was there some other form I was meant to fill out? I’m looking after all of this for my mother as she’s not in the best place and wouldn’t have a clue. I have her full permission to act as an administrator and look after everything required.

I didn’t want to go down the solicitor route at the start as it was a small estate…

Any advise more than welcome!
I hadn’t heard of such a certificate, but you should contact the probate office in the High Court and ask.

They may be able to certify that no Grant of Probate/Administration was extracted in respect of the deceased once you give them the details of the deceased (Name, Address, Date of Birth and Date of Death). You should provide them with a death certificate of the deceased.

Alternatively, you could ask a Solicitor to conduct a Probate Registry search and get them to certify that according to their search, no Grant was extracted in respect of the deceased.

Back