Central Heating doesn't seem to be heating my hot water

C

cullenswood

Hi,

Moved into a new house 4 months ago and have Natural Gas central heating that was working perfectly until this week.

Now it doesn't seem to be heating the water in the water tank which is a right pain as there is no hot water for a shower in the morning etc. The radiators are all heating up as normal and when I turn on the emersion (sp?) this heats the water no problem, so it only seems to be faulty when the boiler should be heating it.

Anyone any ideas on what could be the problem?

There should be a tap on the connections going from the boiler into the tank, it works on the same way as the valves on the radiators, just check are they turned on and if not then try and turn them on.

There should be a tap on the connections going from the boiler into the tank, it works on the same way as the valves on the radiators, just check are they turned on and if not then try and turn them on.

Would this tap be in the hot press upstairs where the tank is situated? Took a quick look this morning before I came to work and there were a few red gate valves so I made sure they were all on, which they were.

Didn't think it would be one of those though, as nothing would have been turned off in the last week.

Have a look at the control panel maybe something got switched off inadvertently, are you the only one in the house that could have gone at it?,
does the timer work for the rads, maybe something in the control panel damaged by lightning.

Yeah the timer is working for the rads, and I am the only one in the house that would have gone near it. The control panel on the boiler hasn't been changed either. It's baffling me as to why it has suddenly stopped heating the water.

CH and no warm water

There could be an airlock in the system,get a plumber in.In some cases it helps if you close all the radiator valves and let the system run for a while, about half an hour or so.If your system is supplied with an air valve that should blow out the air.But don't forget the pressure,read the bars at the manometer and adjust them,that is for the closed "pressurized" system.For the open system there should be a special tank at the attic,check if it is full,the float might be stuck.The float ignites the refilling of the tank in case the system looses water .Usually the immersion tank is at the highest level of heat outlets,so if there is not enough water circulating in the system than it won't get hot.

hot water

Is there a thermostat located on the cylinder? If so set it to 60 degrees. If you can find the thermostat it should be controlling a motorised valve. Check that this is open.

Back