"Celtic Protocol:" Proposal to extend the EU/UK border to the Scottish/English border.

horusd

As part of the campaign to keep Scotland in the EU Single market and to solve some of the problems created by the Irish sea border, this proposal is being carried on the "Europe for Scotland" website. It bears exploring, I wonder will Boris bite to lower demands for Scottish independence?

Proposal is from Jane Morrice, former deputy speaker of the NI Assembly. The concept of a Celtic Union is interesting as a concept but is it a runner whilst excluding Wales?

See: https://janemorrice.com/?p=84&link_...date-on-scotland-rejoining-the-european-union

As part of the campaign to keep Scotland in the EU Single market and to solve some of the problems created by the Irish sea border, this proposal is being carried on the "Europe for Scotland" website. It bears exploring, I wonder will Boris bite to lower demands for Scottish independence?

Proposal is from Jane Morrice, former deputy speaker of the NI Assembly. The concept of a Celtic Union is interesting as a concept but is it a runner whilst excluding Wales?

See: https://janemorrice.com/?p=84&link_...date-on-scotland-rejoining-the-european-union
The Spanish will block it.

Seems like a Trojan horse for independence. Looks at the issues with NI protocol and there's no land crossings between them and the rest of the UK.

How are you going to police this on a fuzzy border like that between England and Scotland?

Is Scotland in the EU in Ireland's economic interests - v doubtful.

Seems like a Trojan horse for independence. Looks at the issues with NI protocol and there's no land crossings between them and the rest of the UK.

How are you going to police this on a fuzzy border like that between England and Scotland?

Is Scotland in the EU in Ireland's economic interests - v doubtful.
@odyssey06 Why would Scotland in the EU be a problem and why would the Euro be a problem @dukeofmarmalade? I kinda get Spanish concerns, but would Spain block it?

@odyssey06 Why would Scotland in the EU be a problem and why would the Euro be a problem @dukeofmarmalade? I kinda get Spanish concerns, but would Spain block it?
An independent Scotland in the EU could be a serious competitor with Ireland for investment - they could cut corporate taxes to Ireland levels, and have a similarly educated, English speaking workforce. Plus all those things American moguls seem to like - golf courses, whisky, tearful vistas of soft days etc etc :)

This Guardian article is a good summary of the currency problem.

Interesting article odessey06. I think IRL opposing (or foot-dragging) on Scottish independence and re-joining the EU mightn't go down well in the SNP's Edinburgh, and I think the emotive sense of seeing Scotland "return" might trump any concerns over competition. As for the currency concerns, if economics were solely at play, maybe this would be a decider, but - as was the case in IRL - it wasn't the main factor in play. All quite an interesting time for these islands, whatever way the political winds blow. I was struck by the idea of a Celtic Union. This is the first inkling I heard around this. What's fascinating is whether its pie in the sky or something more substantial, and it might help ((in some format) in sorting out the issue of NI and future relationships on these islands.

Interesting article odessey06. I think IRL opposing (or foot-dragging) on Scottish independence and re-joining the EU mightn't go down well in the SNP's Edinburgh, and I think the emotive sense of seeing Scotland "return" might trump any concerns over competition. As for the currency concerns, if economics were solely at play, maybe this would be a decider, but - as was the case in IRL - it wasn't the main factor in play. All quite an interesting time for these islands, whatever way the political winds blow. I was struck by the idea of a Celtic Union. This is the first inkling I heard around this. What's fascinating is whether its pie in the sky or something more substantial, and it might help ((in some format) in sorting out the issue of NI and future relationships on these islands.
Oh I didn't mean we should foot drag on it but nor should we be championing it either.

I think the currency concerns could sway enough of the population to swing the vote, if you assume there is a base of voters who are pro independence and a base of voters who are pro Union, then I think the 'swing voters' looking at things like jobs, stability etc for them the currency is a big deal.

It's not the silliest idea.

There are only 25 public roads and it is 150km long, much more sparsely populated and less cross-border commuting.

It makes it a lot easier to police than the NI border.

Back