Ceiling height requirements in a bathroom

3CC

Hi,

We are considering buying a dormer bungalow. We have noticed that the ceiling height requirements (i.e. that the area at 2.4m height should be at least 50% of that at 1.5m height) are not met for the upstairs bathroom.

But I am not clear if this rule is a requirement for bathrooms. I read the building regs but I am confused as it seems to depend on whether the room is a 'habitable' room?

Can anyone confirm if these ceiling height requirements are applicable to bathrooms?

Many thanks..

Attachments

• Habitable.jpg
    Habitable.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 169
Can't answer your question other than to advise that this is something that should be brought to your surveying Engineer's attention as part of his inspection which is a must do in my opinion.

Can't answer your question other than to advise that this is something that should be brought to your surveying Engineer's attention as part of his inspection which is a must do in my opinion.
Thanks Horatio. Yes we will definitely do a survey but I just want to know in advance of that if possible...

Many people have installed bedrooms and bathrooms in their attic space and do not always conform to the ceiling height regulations. In these cases, the space can not be described as a "room" in any advertising or suchlike literature

Unless you plan to sleep in the bathroom, it is not regarded as a "habitable" room.

Here's from the statute

"habitable room" means a room used for living or sleeping purposes

Unless you plan to sleep in the bathroom, it is not regarded as a "habitable" room.

Here's from the statute

"habitable room" means a room used for living or sleeping purposes
Living includes going to the bathroom for most of us. Non-habitable space = storage.

Living includes going to the bathroom for most of us. Non-habitable space = storage.
It came up here previously

Typically, habitable rooms provide the living accommodation of the dwelling. They include living room, dining room, study, home office, conservatory and bedrooms. They exclude the bathroom, WC, utility room, storeroom, circulation space and kitchens under 6.5 sq m.

Typically, habitable rooms provide the living accommodation of the dwelling. They include living room, dining room, study, home office, conservatory and bedrooms. They exclude the bathroom, WC, utility room, storeroom, circulation space and kitchens under 6.5 sq m.
Can you cite something authoritative that states that?
Even the relevant statutory instrument doesn't seem to clarify.

The Act doesn't exclude bathrooms, it defines it as:

"habitable room" means a room used for living or sleeping purposes but does not include a kitchen having a floor area of less than 6.5 m2 in area;

More guidance from the self-build forum here.

Thanks for all your replies to this. Yes the wording in the Act is not as clear as it could be, but the definition of a habitable room seems to be quite broad and only qualified by way of the sole exclusion of kitchens < 6,5m2.

I can't think why small kitchens would be excluded from the requirements to have good ceiling heights?

In any case, while its not 100% clear, bathrooms seem to be habitable rooms and the ceiling height requirements seems to apply (and the self build link above seems to support this view).

Next problem is what to do about this house with a bathroom that is actually a storage room....

Back