CD Burner not working, any suggestions?

S

Slash

I have an Iomega zip CD 650 CD drive/writer. I think it's banjaxed. When you insert a CD Rom, it spins a couple of times, stops, spins again, stops, and spins again. This goes on for a couple of minutes, then it goes dead.

When I do Start > Explore, I can "see" the E drive all right, but it shows no contents. Probably not worth getting it repaired - it's a few years old. But is there some kind of diagnostic I can run?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you righ click on the drive and view properties, do u get anything?

Slash, I used to have the same model, so I'm guessing yours is at least 4-5 years old?

If it's attempting to read from the drive, that would suggest the problem isn't with the PC/Device manager, but with the drive itself. It might just be fcuked at this stage, especially if you've been using it a lot... maybe try running a common-or-garden CD-drive lens cleaner disc through it?

'Good news' is that these things are now comfortably under €60 to replace... try [broken link removed] :\

getoffhtepot: Yes, it shows properties. Any one in particular i should look at?

Dr M: yes, i think it's about 4 yrs old.

View properties - should show you the properties of the CDrom. Disk capacity, free space.
This will tell you that it is reading the drive.
If it does give the properities it may work after this.
This worked for me on a previous drive.

if you don't get anything then it's not reading and you're at square one.

Well, before you go sticking a vodka-soaked Q-tip into it, by all means run any diagnostics you can on it (your PC should have some kind of system info/diagnostics tool...)

But if it's had a lot of use, all I can say (from experience) is that these yokes don't last forever. I'm on my third in 6 years... :\

[broken link removed] one from Komplett @ €40.20 plus p&p...

yes, under Properties, it shows disk capacity, etc. so, it is connected OK. And I can see it OK in Device Manager.

Maybe I'll try uninstalling the Driver and reinstalling. want to try all possibilities before chucking it out and buying a new one.

Back