Cavity Wall Insulation - How High?

galwegian44

I've been thinking of getting my house insulated i.e. cavity wall and attic. My neighbour had it done last Saturday and is very satisfied with the results. However, when I looked at the gable end of the house (it's very high as his attic is converted) I noticed that the highest 'blow' holes run horizontally from where the eaves start/end. So, the full triangular part of the side of the house is above the highest 'blow' hole. At its highest point in the middle of the triangle this would be at least 2 - 3 metres.

I'm assuming that when the beads are blow into the cavity, gravity does its job and the beads drop rather than blow up. How then, does the cavity above the horizontal line of 'blow' holes get filled? I would have assumed that they should have drilled about a foot away from the sloping roof, up the triangle sides to the apex and then filled.

Apologies for my ham-fisted effort at explaining this, hopefully its understandable.

Thanks in advance.

I would think your suspicions are correct and offhand I don't know how they would do this - there may be several methods.
Cavity fill is an inexact science and unless its done by a well-respected experienced and professional firm it can go wrong.

If the attic is converted, the insulated envelope has to be taken right to the top.
In fact it can be difficult to ensure no cold bridging occurs at such junctions.
I'm afraid I have no definitive answer other than to agree with your concerns.

There is growing support for external insulation over on the Construct Ireland website last time I looked.
However, even this requries careful detailing to avoid cold bridged, expecially at opes, cills, eaves and gables.
There appear to be no easy answers I'm afraid - it all has to be looked at carefully whatever method you choose.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

HI

Can I strongly suggest that you talk to a registered BER assessor - preferably an architect who has obtained such a qualification.
You need to look at the whole house globally to get the best from upgrading its thermal performance.
You need to avoid making things worse by exacerbating condensation on cold bridges when you've upgrading everything else.
The upgrading needs to be a continuous thing to get the best from the envelope, if you get my drift.
Suppliers of products are unlikely to be able to give you this in depth service.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

No problem galwegian44, the Home Energy forum covers insulation. I moved the thread.
Leo

Back