Cashing a sterling cheque

Jister

I've just received a sterling cheque for £100. Can I bring it into my branch, where I have banked for many years, and get £100 in sterling cash from them, which I will use in a few weeks when I go to the UK?

I have a feeling the answer to the above question is "No" so I wonder is it possible to open a sterling denominated sub account and lodge it there until it clears?

I'd be really surprised if you could. Any time I've had a foreign cheque they'll only let me lodge it and then not access the funds for a number of days. Even if the bank were going to give you the money straight away you won't get £100 as they'll charge you twice. Once for you to sell your sterling cheque to them and then for you to buy £100 off them. You will lose out on the exchange rates.

A few years ago I got a sterling cheque from Betfair which I lodged to my a/c. It took a couple of weeks to clear and when it did appear in my a/c a sizable amount (about €30-40) had been deducted from what I expected. My bank blamed the UK bank (I think it was Bank of Scotland) for this massive "bank charge".

So watch out for this as well.

Do you know any UK citizens who would cash it for you if you endorse the back of the cheque?

Is the cheque crossed? If so then I dont think it can be cashed - it must be lodged to the account of the person to whom it is payable.

Jister said:
I've just received a sterling cheque for £100. Can I bring it into my branch, where I have banked for many years, and get £100 in sterling cash from them, which I will use in a few weeks when I go to the UK?

Cant see how the bank will do that for you - you might be sound but how do they know the drawer of the cheque is? I used to lodge sterling cheques in to my regular current a/c but they take a lot longer to clear than regular cheques. I eventually opened a sterling a/c and do my sterling business through it - probably not worth the hassle for you if the cheque is a one off payment to you.

I lodge dollar cheques to my account on a relatively frequent basis without any additional charges. They usually take 2-3 days to clear, I've never experienced a major delay.

Back