Cash buy vs mortgage

Status
Not open for further replies.

confused12

Hi all,

All things being equal, and buying as ppr, if I had 200k cash, is it generally recommended to:

1. Buy a property worth 200k
or
2. Buy a property worth 400k, put down 200k and take a 50% mortgage

I understand there are lots of variables, but what are your thoughts on these options?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you want to live in a 200k house or a 400k house?

That's a fair question.

I think everybody would like to live in a house that's worth 400k rather than 200k.

But if that meant a large degree of financial loss/wage enslavement, then I don't think I'd be that keen unless in the long run it was really advantageous

This is a huge decision and you really should complete a Money Makeover template.

Otherwise, it's a theoretical question and we would have to make a number of assumptions about your income, your age, etc. to give any meaningful answers.

The only general rule is that it's expensive, risky and disruptive trading up. If you can afford to buy your ultimate house now, you should do so.

Brendan

Thanks Brendan, I might do a monkey makeover template.

Are the costs of trading up associated with solicitor's/auctioneers fees etc?

Are the costs of trading up associated with solicitor's/auctioneers fees etc?

They are only a small part of the total costs.

Most houses need to be decorated and/or refurbished.

It's unlikely you will move from your old house straight into your new house, so you might have to rent in the meantime and/or pay storage.

And the risk is that you might sell your old home and not find a suitable new home for some time.

Brendan

- A 50% Loan-to-Value (LTV) would be viewed as conservative, subject to the Loan-to-Income (LTI) bein

- A gain in respect of the sale of one’s home is tax-free

- It’s nice to have a nice home

They’re so of the reasons one might go for the €400k option rather than the €200k one.

Continued here:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back